in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-10-2008 7:00 AM by BenSA. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-09-2008 10:48 AM

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

BG4002 Too many wires?

Please see photo of din plug inside my beogram (apologies for the quality) There are 4 coloured wires and one earth wire....surely thats too many wires??  The Din plug inside has 9 pins???? I've looked at another BG4002 and it uses only 2 wires and an earth wire. I am wanting to change the Din cable on the BG but I'm wondering if its correctly wired? It just seems strange to me.

Any ideas?

Durban South Africa

• 11-09-2008 10:53 AM In reply to

Re: BG4002 Too many wires?

Yours is probably old enough to be prewired for the CD4 decoder option, or they just had a surplus of four channel DIN cables laying around in the factory warehouse... You won't need more than the typical two + ground connections if you want to replace the cable, but you may have to reverse engineer which connection is which. But I would just repair the cable and maybe replace the DIN connector if there's a problem, the original cables are pretty good quality anyway.

-mika

• 11-09-2008 11:04 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

It does have the cd4 switch but no board for it. So you are right Tournedos. Only thing is I have no idea how to find out where is left and channel on the Din inside. There is no sound from the one channel. If I shake the wire I get a loud humming also from the dead channel and then I shake it some more than it goes but then sound only from the one channel!

Durban South Africa

• 11-09-2008 11:56 AM In reply to

It's in the 4002-6000 service manual schematic (a little bit hard to follow with tired eyes, but anyway...)

L and R outputs from the pickup should go to pins 9 and 1, respectively, on the internal connector. These are the pins that are at the ends of the arc. Pickup signal grounds go to pin 7 and shield ground to pin 5 (middle). I suppose the pins would be numbered in the connector, but if not, you can probably tell the ground/shield from the others. The pickup signal ground should go to pin 2 in the outside DIN and the shield ground to the cable shield / DIN connector sleeve. L and R are 3 and 5 on the outside DIN.

Double check with the schematic anyway - the DIN cord from the outside world is on the general schematic page, and then the signals are routed through the muting relay board to the pickup (so there should actually be two pairs of these connectors inside). The latter board is described on the same page with the CD4 decoder. Your problem might also be on this board.

BTW the connector inside isn't actually called DIN - I suppose it's "Noval", or the same connector that was used as tube/valve sockets.

-mika

• 11-09-2008 12:23 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Thanks so much! I will try and see if I can work it out.

Durban South Africa

• 11-09-2008 8:23 PM In reply to

Hi:

I had a similar problem with hum and no sound from my BG 4002.

The problem was found to be inside the DIN connector (connector that plugs into your B&O receiver side) not in the deck.

The ground and one of the signal wires snapped off.

You can resolder the wires. No need to cut the connector off, the DIN shell can be taken apart.

Derek 

• 11-10-2008 7:00 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Thanks Derek...I did check but the wires are still soldered on but maybe resolder them again

Durban South Africa

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)