in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-08-2009 7:31 AM by tournedos. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2009 11:20 AM

I finally got my cap order today after two months - I guess it was the 27uF caps for the Pentas that took a while... I decided to start with the RL60.2's I have at the office (a cow-orker complained about lack of treble Stick out tongue ). I took one off the ceiling pole and opened it up. I hate these chipboard constructions.

-mika

• 01-07-2009 11:27 AM In reply to

And just like with the Pentas, the actual crossovers are different from the service manual Indifferent No problem otherwise, but since I had ordered the caps in advance, I was now short of two 6.8u caps and had a couple of extra 15 uF's... After some thinking, I decided to steal a pair of 2.2's from the Penta lot, and use 4.7+2.2 in parallel for the 6.8 in the real tweeter network.

Attached are the service manual version of the crossover, and what I actually found in the speakers.

-mika

• 01-07-2009 11:52 AM In reply to

Re: RL60.2 recap

And here is the finished product, old ROE bipolar electrolytics replaced with Intertechnik MKT foil caps which should be plenty good for these speakers. I had planned to compare the upgraded and old speakers, but of course forgot to take notes on how the foam padding pieces belonged in the case - so I opened the second speaker for reference before assembling the first...

After some initial listening tests (have to bring more CDs to work tomorrow...) I'm quite happy. The crisper high end is notable at once. I have now high hopes for the Pentas at home, which I will be doing next...

-mika

• 01-07-2009 3:11 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Do you have a type number and serial number on these speakers ?

All redline speakers I ever saw had "proper" PCB boards, even the RL35. And the RL60.2 filters I've seen were nothing like the ones you have.

Martin

• 01-07-2009 4:06 PM In reply to

I'll get them tomorrow, at least one of them has the serial number sticker left. Do you suppose I have a pair from some very early production run, or something? I recall the type number matches (checked it before buying these), and the mylar straps read "RL60.2" as well.

-mika

• 01-07-2009 4:48 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

My original RL60's also had this type of "non-pcb" construction. Is it possible that they are actually RL60's with RL60.2 straps? What does the rating plate on the rear of the speaker say?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-07-2009 5:00 PM In reply to

Definitely RL60.2's with an original bass reflex construction, no traces of ABR's - and the actual crossover doesn't match the RL60 in the service manual either.

Soon I'll be tempted to go back to the office to check them! Laughing

-mika

• 01-08-2009 7:31 AM In reply to

Here we go. The other one is the same, including the serial number - I guess these were numbered in pairs?

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)