in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-26-2008 7:39 AM by Steve at Sounds Heavenly. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-24-2008 1:29 PM

Beosound 9000 and Beolink Passive

Hi

I want to connect my Beosound 9000 to a pair of non B&O ceiling speakers.  I have a Beolink Passive, 2x DIN plug adapters and a masterlink cable.  I have connected everything up but I do not get any sound.  The Beolink Passive will not turn on, the red standby light just stays on and I can't control the Beosound 9000 with the Beo4 remote control I have.  Do I need to use an IR eye and connect it to the Beolink Passive?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• 10-24-2008 2:39 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound 9000 and Beolink Passive

You have two options.

Either connect them together with a fully wired Mk2 powerlink cable, in which case you will not need the IR eye and the Beo4 will work directly on the 9000

or

Connect them together with a Masterlink cable, plug an IR eye into the passive and the Beo4 will work on the eye but not the 9000.

Regards Graham

• 10-24-2008 2:45 PM In reply to

Hi Graham,

Don't forget option 3!

If remote operation in the area of the ceiling speakers is not essential, I would consider ditching the Beolink Passive (not one of B&O's better amps IMHO) and using a Powerlink to RCA cable to power a conventional hifi amplifier.  The volume of the ceiling speakers will then follow the main Beosound 9000 levels, but the quality can be improved on by use of a good amp.

Best regards,

Steve.

PS. Welcome to Beoworld ChristianA!

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 10-24-2008 3:09 PM In reply to

Thanks for your speedy replies!

I think I will go with the powerlink cable option as I already have the beolink passive and I would like to control the volume form the beosound 9000.  When I have the passive connected to the beosound 9000 via a powerlink cable, will the passive turn itself on and off when the bs9000 is turned on and off?  Also, will I need to change any settings on the beo4?

Thanks again.

Christian

• 10-24-2008 5:32 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

As long as you have an old fully wired Powerlink, or the modern Mark II, you will have no trouble.  Everything will work properly.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-24-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

There's not a lot wrong with the Beolink Passive as an amplifier in this application. He only wants to run some ceiling speakers!

Regards Graham

• 10-26-2008 3:54 AM In reply to

OK, maybe I'm just a perfectionist!

Beolink Passive is fine for background music, but I just think a conventional hifi amp will usually beat it hands down for serious listening.

Best regards,

Steve.

• 10-26-2008 7:30 AM In reply to

Do ceiling speakers and serious listening really go together? Perhaps I'm just old fashioned.

Regards Graham

• 10-26-2008 7:39 AM In reply to

Ah yes, but we didn't ask WHERE in the house the ceiling speakers are going to be placed?

This could be an option to give the perfect stereo image when enjoying music whilst lying in a nice comfortable bed? Yes -  thumbs up

Steve.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)