in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-19-2008 7:35 AM by lausvi. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2008 4:40 AM

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Beovision MX 3000 - found from a trash!

Hi!
    I had a lucky day, I found a Beovision MX 3000 tv-set from my house's trash. It has no remote but it switches on and shows picture, nothing but static as there are no more analogue tv-broadcasts in here.... but I can change channels. It's in very good condition, it has a white coloured top and side panel. I will borrow a Beolink 1000 this week and test the tv with a digital receiver thrue scart as it seems that it can't be selected without the remote.

Is there something in general I would need to know about this set? What you think of it, quality, style etc?

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 09-24-2008 4:50 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Re: Beovision MX 3000 - found from a trash!

Hi,

congrats with the MX3000 ! 

I know several people that do not regard the MX3000 as a real B&O tv; 

"no real B&O chassis"(Thomson), etc, 

but personally, i love it, mainly because it was my first B&O tv 

and despite its age, it still works (and has worked for more than 10 years since i own it),

and i use it daily (bedroom). 

I think it is a real B&O tv, it is Beolink compatible (in my setup, it is connected to the main-room system,

so it can play all audio sources from the main-room), it has sockets for external speakers 

(you can choose: - only internal speakers, - internal + external speakers, - external speakers) 

• 09-24-2008 8:19 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I just got a message - the Beolink 1000 will visit me today and I can test the set better! Hmm... exciting!

I also read that the chassis was made by someone else than B&O but still I think B&O have had that much part in the construction of this set that it could be called a B&O tv. Indeed the Beolink!

I read that the chassis is not having a too good a reputation but it's good to hear that yours have worked so long. I personally like the size of this set - this one has the accesory stand but I could try without. As soon as I have made some space for it..... (stumbling between open-reel-recorders, receivers and computer). 

• 09-24-2008 10:09 AM In reply to

My MX1500 is basically a Philips, but 19 years old and still going strong....... congratulations on your find!
  • 09-24-2008 11:55 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Whoa!
    I just had the chance to test the tv with a Beolink 1000. And guess what? It worked! V.Tape, SCART input! Tuning channels! Picture adjustments, everything. The colour was set to very dark but I downloaded the user manual for this and there they stated the factory-settings for all the settings. I had some troubles figuring out how to use the STORE button but again, it was on the manual.

Now I am looking for a Beolink 1000 remote for this.... :)

Great tv indeed, the picture looked very crisp and bright - sound was excellent too. Some find...

• 09-24-2008 12:25 PM In reply to

Congratulations Wink

My 30 euro MX2000 was a similar good surprise regarding the picture quality. It's a bit dim (but hey, most 20 year old CRTs are) but the colour tones are so good I never get tired watching it. B&O or not!

-mika

• 09-24-2008 12:32 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I was expecting that it would be dim but gladly not. I set all the picture settings to the factory originals and the picture was in my opinion bright enough - and there is still range to adjust it brighter if needed. I also thought the colour was very nicely balanced and warm. Also I noted that the picture was very much the same on both tuner and scart input so I recon the tuner has been of very good quality. 

You wouldn't happen to have any extra Beolink 1000s? :D 

• 09-24-2008 1:46 PM In reply to

Not for sale, but if you urgently need one I could borrow it for a while (a month or two?) in return for a demonstration of your Beogram 1000 Smile Drop me a PM if you're interested.

-mika

• 10-18-2008 3:01 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Update; I have bought a BL1000 remote and the tv is in use. It has no place yet so it's in the livingroom and sometimes when I feel most B&O I roll it up and use it. 

I am still not sure if this is dim or not. It's not like most newer tv's that run so brightly that it hurts when watching in darkness. The MX's picture is well balanced and it looks good - best on dim room. Anyway it works fine as for a secondary set. I already cleaned the contrast screen from both sides.

Only problem still is that the battery seems to be dead as the set loses the channel tunings and colour setting when unplugged. I checked the battery type and I can get a new one easily - I am just waiting for the inspiration... When I do, is there anything else that "should" check or replace - some caps in stressed positions etc? I noted that there are those cylinderical ROE's (that should be all replaced by now). As the set works I wouldn't like to replace them all.

• 10-19-2008 7:22 AM In reply to

lausvi:
    I am still not sure if this is dim or not. It's not like most newer tv's that run so brightly that it hurts when watching in darkness.

Since the contrast screen is tinted glass, the MX's will always look dimmer than similar tubes would without a contrast screen. In addition, I'm sure any MX3000 has seen enough use that the tube has lost some of its original brightness.

As to the caps, I wouldn't do anything as long as the tv works fine. There's always the possibility that something goes wrong, and it will in any case cost a lot of money compared to your original purchase price Laughing

-mika

• 10-19-2008 7:35 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

tournedos:

Since the contrast screen is tinted glass, the MX's will always look dimmer than similar tubes would without a contrast screen. In addition, I'm sure any MX3000 has seen enough use that the tube has lost some of its original brightness.

As to the caps, I wouldn't do anything as long as the tv works fine. There's always the possibility that something goes wrong, and it will in any case cost a lot of money compared to your original purchase price Laughing

The contrast screen is actually plastic as it is curved and even the manual says to bent it slightly when (dis)mounting it. The later (bigger) Beovisions indeed have glass-panels.

I have no idea if this has been used a lot or not - by the way; does this set have some remote-combination that shows the hours the set has been on? Or the software version?

I have replaced that many of those ROEs on other sets that I can hardly avoid thinking to replace them!  Laughing  Perhaps I will just replace the battery and clean the dust out....  

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)