in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-18-2008 6:07 PM by Peter. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-17-2008 11:35 AM

Some advice for a 'newbie'

I've just obtained a beomaster 3300 and beogram cd 3500. am looking for advice on what speakers to purchase (on a budget) to ge the best out of the system.

any help would be much appreciated.

• 10-17-2008 12:09 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Some advice for a 'newbie'

Hello and welcome to Beoworld. How much were you looking to pay for a pair of speakers? As there are quite a few models you could use with your setup.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-17-2008 12:18 PM In reply to

hi craig,

im looking at no more than £200. but as i said the more cost effective the better

• 10-17-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

You could look at a pair of CX100's. These will more than likely though need the Drivers replacing or refoaming as they do suffer from foam rot. Or you could look at the following models.

Beovox S55's

Redline 60.2's

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-17-2008 1:14 PM In reply to

Hi:

Where are you based? 

In Cambridge I saw a pair of Redlines in a resale shop. Looked like they had been there a while. Not bad condition but I didn't need them so I didn't buy them - £50 I think or around.

Thanks

Graham

• 10-17-2008 5:52 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Graham1982:

Hi:

Where are you based? 

In Cambridge I saw a pair of Redlines in a resale shop. Looked like they had been there a while. Not bad condition but I didn't need them so I didn't buy them - £50 I think or around.

Thanks

Graham

Best to make sure of the model number as the ones with ABR's suffer from foam rot too.

CraigSmile

• 10-17-2008 6:15 PM In reply to

Nice pair of S45-2s or S120s (the latter suffer from foam rot) Redline 60.2s are certainly more modern looking though. None should cost more than £100 - usually much less.
  • 10-18-2008 3:26 PM In reply to

can anyone enlighten me on the merits of the above three suggestions (& cx-100s) with relation to each other?

thanks

• 10-18-2008 6:07 PM In reply to

S120s - probably the best balanced passive speaker that B&O made. Plenty of bass. Only problem is that the bass cones suffer from foam rot but this is quite easy to repair. Should be cheap - almost nothing if foam rot not repaired.

S45-2 - smaller and so not so much bass as the S120. Again a very accurate speaker and good top end particularly. No foam rot as rubber surrounds - lots around. get ones with stands if possible. Nicer wood than the S120s.

RL60.2 - much more modern. They can be placed in a number of positions but I think if on the floor, they are bass heavy. You need the stands. Can need new capacitors but these are very cheap and easy to replace. I don't think they sound as good as the S45 and s120 but speakers are a matter of taste. If you are playing rock, these will be more to your taste. 

CX100s - incredible for their size. Pleasant to listen to but seriously lacking bass. You need a Cona sub-woofer if you plan to use them as main room speakers. Not really Hi-Fi but very pleasant to listen to - I use a pair every day! 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)