in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-16-2008 5:43 PM by Craig. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-16-2008 4:31 PM

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Pre-amp? So difficult?

Really, I totally get why B&O don't make another BeoGram.  I understand that there's not a business case for making something to play vinyl, much as many of us would like a new system.  The thing I don't get is why they can't just stick a preamp in a current system?  A Phono socket wouldn't involve too much and it's not as if we're talking speaker level power, line level only - that's just a small chip, not a big amplifier. Certainly, I find that I have no inclination to upgrade from my BS5500 to anything new, simply because I don't want to have to trade in my records.  Sure, I could get a separate pre-amp, but that's sort of like buying a car that never starts and keeping a 2nd car in the garage to jump-start it with...
  • 10-16-2008 5:04 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: Pre-amp? So difficult?

Hi Calvin,

A big indicator, I would think, is that in the last couple of generations of Turntables, B&O moved the phono pre-amp out into the Turntable itself (not unlike moving the power amp into the speaker, really), where I'm sure they thought it belonged.  Having already taken that step, it would seem pretty backward-looking to try to re-incorporate one into the BeoSound family now...and besides, there isn't an available input given that modern BeoSounds only have one input. 

On the other hand, external phono pre-amps are dirt cheap, really, so why not find one that precisely matches your needs, and go from there?   

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-16-2008 5:21 PM In reply to

Calvin,

I've put together a pre-amp kit that might be useful if you want to connect an older Beogram into a new BeoSound system.  The RIAA amps themselves are eay to find, it's just the cables and adapters that are usually a problem to source, hence the reason for the kit with everything included, ready to use.  Lee at LifeStyle AV has these in stock, or you can find more information via the link below.

Best regards,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 10-16-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

With my BS3000 I use a Pro-ject Pre Amp. To allow me to use the Aux connection for the PC too, I have a CD-Tape adaptor. It all works perfectly. Think the Pre Amp was about £50.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)