in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-17-2008 10:04 PM by Medogsfat. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-16-2008 1:56 PM

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Repainting CX's

Just wondered if anyone has any experience in repainting CX speakers? Just refoamed a set of CX100's, but there are a few marks to the cases which go to the metal underneath. Before I attack them with spray paint I wanted some advice first.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-16-2008 2:43 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Repainting CX's

I have Craig.

What colour are they?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-17-2008 3:56 PM In reply to

Hi,

I have reconditioned several of these speakers.

Yes, they can be repainted. Though I usually don't repaint the front cause you will loose the lettering, but the sides, top and bottom are easily repainted after light sanding and filling. The speakers have a little glossy line running horizontally in the middle, which you either have to mask off or put back on later with glossy paint.

As they are cast alu, I did finish a pair in high gloss polished chromeplating..... spectacular......I also have done a pair in a super sparkly lipstick red carpaint finish (done by pro!)... very nice too....

These kind of speakers are usually fairly easy to find and not too expensive ( I ususally pay max $100 a pair) so I find it ok too mess with them al little and it doesn't rely take away any of the value.

Regards

• 10-17-2008 10:04 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

There's plenty of options for different colourways and the CX range definately lend themselves easily to this. I have spoken to Craig on the phone re:- his CX100's (white) and I'm sure he'll be fine. He's pretty damned handy so the job will be a good 'un.

A good quick tip is to rub in a very small amount "Fairy Power Spray" on each surface with your fingers before starting anything & wipe off with a damp cloth. This removes the lacquered coating and strips the cabinets back to a stable & clean surface. You'd be amazed at the amount of gunk this removes!

Another problem - as you say - is retaining the original text which runs across the horizontal bar between the tweeter & lower bass driver. Easily masked by fabricating a cardboard "lid" which covers all 3 drivers with a couple of notches for the horizontal bars and fitted as you would the frets. If (like me) you're in the habit of refurbing CX's these can be re-used indefinately.

I'd love to see some pic's of the chrome ones though if you have any.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)