in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-18-2008 3:27 PM by yachadm. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2008 11:41 AM

• Vaughn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

B&O Noob and his stuff.

Hello everybody, and may I say what a great site/forum this is. I have only recently purchased a few bits and pieces of vintage B&O gear from Ebay. It all started a few weeks ago when a bout of nostalgia got me looking into buying a turntable. Naturally I noticed the B&O tt's and was impressed by their beauty and surprised by their cheapness. Of course I wasn't taking into account the cartridge prices, I hadn't done my homework you see.Embarrassed. Once I became aware of the rarity of the cartridges I grabbed a few off Ebay, for a rainy day. It turned out that my new tt had a perfectly functioning MMC10E cartridge anyway!

I am waiting for the other bits to arrive, a Beomaster 1600 with Beovox 1200's and a beautiful B&O made bit of furniture to house it all.

Tell me what you think!Smile

• 10-01-2008 12:05 PM In reply to

Re: B&O Noob and his stuff.

A very interesting receiver. Tends to be known as the Tandberg type as it resembles the design of that brand, it actually matches that era of TVs very well and are beautifully built with a die cast chassis. Beocentral describes them as updated 900s but with a considerable amount of electrical updating. Difficult to find in very good condition but a very nice place to start. The Beovox 1200 that you have is quite a decent sized speaker and is well specified.

Which turntable have you got? It sounds as though it is from a slightly later era. 

• 10-01-2008 12:10 PM In reply to

The stand you have is actually designed for a Beocenter 7000 though clearly it will work for most pieces!
  • 10-01-2008 12:43 PM In reply to

• Vaughn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Nothing too fancy, a Beogram 1600. Nice and clean in all round good condition by the looks of things. The red bit on the cart is tape that was stuck on it for some reason! Of course I can only test it fully when the rest of my gear arrives.

• 10-01-2008 12:48 PM In reply to

• Vaughn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the info, I was wondering what it was originally designed for. I can't wait for it all to come together.

• 10-01-2008 1:44 PM In reply to

Where are you based? I have never had a 1600 - this is an uncommon model! I might ask you for a picture - but I will need it posed in a particular way! Can you tell me the type number? There should be a sticker on the back. T5712 or similar.
  • 10-01-2008 2:23 PM In reply to

• Vaughn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Based in Kent, UK. Yes there is a number underneath, 5713.
  • 10-01-2008 2:35 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I've got one too Peter, but haven't used it yet.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-03-2008 12:49 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Jandyt:
    I've got one too Peter, but haven't used it yet.

Is that the one in your Hallway?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-03-2008 2:38 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Si amigo.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-14-2008 8:33 PM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Hi Vaughn,

This is an incredibly beautiful unit - one of my favorites.

There is a lot to be done under the covers, if you want to take advantage of the sound which it is capable of producing.

I wrote a thread on the restoration of my unit - see here: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/75132.aspx

If you have any specific questions on the repair or restoration, feel free to contact me.

Andy, what about yours - I'm still waiting to see how your restoration comes out?

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 10-17-2008 6:58 AM In reply to

• Vaughn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Wow, that's an impressive restoration! Well, my gear has arrived and looks and sounds fantastic. The woodwork is in great condition, with just a bit of marking on the metalwork, not bad enough to notice really. Works beautifully with the Beovox 1200's that it came with. I got the manual, original boxes with polystyrene inserts, the works.

The only thing I am dissapointed with is the light doesn't work. Now, imagine you are a complete idiot who knows nothing of repairs. Would it be worth me trying to put in a new bulb? 

• 10-17-2008 7:03 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

You need to be very gentle when prying out the bulb from its plastic housing - the plastic clips are very brittle and WILL break easily.

Perhaps Dillen has spare bulbs, if not, contact me, and I'll help you convert it to LED's, which last a lifetime.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 10-17-2008 7:18 AM In reply to

• Vaughn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Wow, thanks for the assistance! Obviously replacing a bulb sounds a lot easier than converting to LED's, my technical skills are limited. I am assuming the bulb is easy to get to? Unsure 
  • 10-18-2008 3:27 PM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Read carefully, and absorb each instruction before doing it - anything which can break, will..... 

Underneath the BM1600 are 4 bolts - unscrew them.

Then, pull the Tuning Knob off, firmly.

Then, GENTLY pry the dial-glass (actually acrylic) faceplate out and away from the receiver body. Notice that it is suspended and held by 2 black plastic clips below and at either side. These break easily - be careful. I had to rebuild mine from plastic card!!!!

Then, behind the now released faceplate, identify the 2 HIGHEST screws. Release these 2 only, and leave the other screws alone!

Then pull the Wooden Casing to the rear.

Now, you've exposed the guts of the receiver.

Follow the black wires to the indicator lamp housings. The bulbs should simply pull out with a tug on the wires, barring any heat or other damage (or non-professional repair jobs).

Good luck!

Menahem

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)