in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-11-2008 11:05 AM by soundchoice70. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-29-2008 11:45 PM

Blue-sky idea... CD for Beosystem 8000/6000?

Just a wild idea I've had several times over the last few years but not really done anything about it... I love the style of the old Beomaster/cord 6000 & 8000 series, but of course they never made a 'matching' CD player, you had to use a CD 3300 or something similar which wasn't the same design at all - it just didn't look right.

It's occurred to me that it should be possible to find an old Beocord 6000/8000, strip out all the tape components, and insert a top-loading CD mechanism. So when you open the metal cover, you have a place to put a CD instead of a tape :-)

Then of course, if you were clever, you could wire up the B&O buttons to control the CD, and make a suitable LED display to put under that red plastic so it shows track number and time etc.... so, questions:

1. Am I crazy?

2. Has anyone else thought of this?

3. Has anyone actually done it, or tried to?

4. Does anyone think some diehard enthusiasts might actually BUY a 'Beogram CD  8002' that matched their Beomaster 8000 if someone started selling them?

Thanks!

Mike

• 03-30-2008 4:27 AM In reply to

Re: Blue-sky idea... CD for Beosystem 8000/6000?

Not completely sure this has not been done. Certainly been put forward before. There are lots of BC8000s going for nothing so not an expensive project. Doing it well is the challenge. I would suggest that it would need to think it was a tape player so that Datalink would work and it might be easier to go for a front loading slot somewhere (less cosmetics needed. )

I think the market is very limited these days so I could see only a few sales! I use a CDX when I want to use CDs - works well throughthe Tape 2 socket. 

• 03-30-2008 6:31 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The 8000-CD project has been seen before. I've seen two different attempts, one has a Discman sitting under the alu lid of a converted Beocord with the clamp at the underside of the lid, obviously no datalink and absolutely the easy way to do it.

The other had a cutout of the front acting as a CD drawer, I believe the electronics and some of the mechanics were basically a Beogram CD50, making datalink and with that remote control possible.

A matching CD player would definitely be a nice addition to the 8000 series so go ahead !  Yes -  thumbs up

Next thing would be a DVD- 8000 

Martin

• 03-30-2008 3:20 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Oh, and while you're in there, cut out a little slot you can drop your ipod into aswell!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-31-2008 12:27 PM In reply to

I will take one.

Untill then I will use my newly fixed CDX.

• 03-31-2008 5:03 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

You can't - I have it here !   Laughing

Martin

• 04-01-2008 4:02 AM In reply to

Dillen:

You can't - I have it here !   Laughing

Martin

Not for long. Saturday is it. Laughing

• 04-06-2008 9:53 PM In reply to

Dillen:

The other had a cutout of the front acting as a CD drawer, I believe the electronics and some of the mechanics were basically a Beogram CD50, making datalink and with that remote control possible.

A matching CD player would definitely be a nice addition to the 8000 series so go ahead !  Yes -  thumbs up

I intend to do just that, and the CD50-in-Beocord-8000-cabinet comes to mind... with the following thoughts:

1. Displays... The CD50 has a 4-digit LED display and a track number display (and minor bits like the 'PLAY' caption of course). The Beocord 8000 has a... 4-digit LED display and a VU-meter. You can see the way I'm thinking... do any of the gurus here, such as Martin, think the CD50 would 'just work' driving the 8000 4-digit LED display? Or would the larger segments of the 8000 display cause a problem (of a volts/amps nature..)? Obviously the wiring would need to be sorted so the individual segments were addressed correctly, I don't expect it to 'just work'. And the VU meter would be replaced by the track number display, with appropriate cosmetic work...

2. Controls... well the front panel of the CD50 is very simple, it only has (IIRC) 'load', 'on/off/play/next track', and 'display' - that's three microswitches to hook-up to appropriate buttons on the Beocord 8000 controls. But what about datalink? BM8000, and the remote, doesn't know anything about CD players... as far as it knows, it's talking to TP2. So what remote to use, and what functions might work?

It would be nice to e.g. use the 8000 numerical buttons to implement select-track-by-number, but that would involve a lot more hackery... everything else is just a matter of mostly-mechanical engineering, fitting everything in the empty 8000 shell and making it work...

I'll experiment with all the above, but it would be nice to have some ideas from people who know B&O! (I just use B&O - I hack hardware on 1960s / 1970s computers, but I'm new to hacking hi-fi gear!)

(Then maybe next project is BeoPod 8000... I have an old iPod and can find another dead Beocord 8000... then I'll have a very long, very big system! :-) )

Thanks

Mike

• 10-11-2008 11:05 AM In reply to

Hey Mike,

Wondering how your project is coming along? Would be very interested to see.

Presently I wont put just any CD player next to my BM6000, I have it linked to  a stacking one with my DVD player etc under my TV nearby, but would love to have a matching CD unit to sit next to it. It was the long 'console' design of this system which I really liked, and which, as we all know was a B&O trademark from the 70s to the 80s..... and well, I think its still very unique..... I wonder why B&O don't look back like some car designers do today and reinterpret some of these iconic pieces? Would be nice...

Oh, also it would be fantastic if it was dual purpose and also had the Ipod dock in it ... total integration! Could get rid of that nasty docking station...

Heres to your success, for all us 8000/6000 fans! 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)