in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-19-2008 11:22 AM by stefan. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-12-2008 2:02 AM

LC2 with floor lamp that has a dimmer already

Hello, i have 2 very nice floor lamps, however they have those dimmers that work when you hold the steel pipe....

ive connected a multiplug (4 way) to the LC2, therefore have the ability to control 4 lamps, within the voltage the lc2 can work within.

however, it doesnt seem to work.. the lc2, does work with other lamps, but not these ones...

am i doing something wrong? would it still work if i disabled the dimmer feature somehow? is it the bulb?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• 09-12-2008 3:57 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Re: LC2 with floor lamp that has a dimmer already

I'm sure those with electrical expertise will be able to give a technical response as to the reason why, but I'm sure that this type of lamp will not work with the LC2.

If the lamps are as you say 'very nice' then why not rewire them internally, direct to the bulb/holder, dispensing with the lamps' built in touch dimmer functions which you don't need anyway? 

• 09-12-2008 4:04 AM In reply to

kokomo:

I'm sure those with electrical expertise will be able to give a technical response as to the reason why, but I'm sure that this type of lamp will not work with the LC2.

If the lamps are as you say 'very nice' then why not rewire them internally, direct to the bulb/holder, dispensing with the lamps' built in touch dimmer functions which you don't need anyway? 

Hummm, thats a VEERRRRRRYYYYYY good point!!!! God help me rewiring it, but it should be a good idea... so do you think its the bulb or the dimmer causing the problem, since id hate to mess around with it, if the bulb is going to stop me regardles

• 09-12-2008 4:13 AM In reply to

The bulbs can be dimmed because they do already... The best is to remove the internal dimmer and connect the lamps directly, then you can add your LC2.

p. 

• 09-12-2008 4:15 AM In reply to

Yes, you are right! Seeing that it looks like ill be stuck in Paris this weekend, i think ill have enough time to do it :S
  • 09-12-2008 4:20 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Can't say without knowing what bulb it is, but most lamps are just a way of containing a bulb and the wiring to it! The differences in design of the outward casing are what makes them attractive to us.

I'm pretty sure the 'problem' lies with the fact that the lamps have their own dimmer circuit which you are trying to connect into with the LC2.

I have 8 LC2's wired to different lamps. One LC2 has lost its dimming capability but I have added a small dimmer control AFTER the LC2 and the LC2 switches this particular light on set to the dim level of the dimmer control. It didn't work with the dimmer control before the LC2. 

As I said, those with technical expertise will have the correct answer as to why it won't work. If it was me though I'd just accept that it doesn't and rewire the lamps. 

• 09-12-2008 5:46 AM In reply to

kokomo, you're right...

Thanks guys for the help, here we go :)

• 09-19-2008 9:01 AM In reply to

As i work with lighting systems i can say it's not very normal to dim a dimmer, and many times it's not even possible when the dimmer is only controlled by voltage adjustment, so the problem will be the internal dimmer on these fixtures as LC2 can't control their dimmer with just lowering the voltage. Same applies for amps-you don't ususally amplify an amplifier with an amplifier (but with a pre-amplifier of course, which in this case doesn't aplly for lighting systems). :) So i guess the only solution is to rewire the fixtures so that they override their own dimmer.

• 09-19-2008 9:08 AM In reply to

Hi, I had a look at the light, but had second thougts about rewiring it because i dont want to end up wrecking them... i guess ill have to purchase a new lamp(s) and make sure that they dont have dimmers!

Thanks redfresnel

• 09-19-2008 9:36 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:

Hi, I had a look at the light, but had second thougts about rewiring it because i dont want to end up wrecking them... i guess ill have to purchase a new lamp(s) and make sure that they dont have dimmers!

Thanks redfresnel

Wimp!! Get on with it.

Big Smile

• 09-19-2008 9:42 AM In reply to

hahhahaa, kokomo.... if i blow them up, then ill have no lights left!!! Houses in Paris, like mine dont have ceiling lights!!!! Believe it or not!

Lol... I guess i am a biiit of a wimp :) with this weekend coming up, detemined for it to be a nice quiet one, i might see :)

• 09-19-2008 9:46 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Maybe you want to keep the LC2 and use it as an on-off switch and dim your lamps manually. So reprogram your LC2 for use as a switch.

Stefan 

• 09-19-2008 10:05 AM In reply to

stefan:

Maybe you want to keep the LC2 and use it as an on-off switch and dim your lamps manually. So reprogram your LC2 for use as a switch.

Stefan 

Ooooohhh, thats a very good idea!!! Does anyone remember how to do that, using a beo5?

Thanks Stefan

• 09-19-2008 10:37 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I don`t know how to program it via Beo5, but Beo4 is:

Touch the sensor of the LC 2 and press BEO 4 - LIGHT-SETUP-0-STORE-GO-3 (or 4). Your LC 2 is now a mains switch (max. 300 W if I remember correctly) controlable by BEO 4 or by touching the sensor area (correct word ???). No dimming function anymore. Back to dimming is LIGHT-SETUP-0-STORE-GO-1 (or 2).

Good Luck Stefan

• 09-19-2008 10:43 AM In reply to

Thanks Stephan,

Ill try and find the equiv. on the beo5. The thing is that there is a LAMP option on the beo5, does anyone know if thats the equivqlent of the beo4 commands?

• 09-19-2008 11:22 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

No, the LIGHT function on Beo5 works in a different way. You can recall light scenes with LIGHT 1 ...9, and with LAMP you can choose a single LC2.

But there are also macros included, so programming LC2s via Beo5 seems to be difficult - at least for me.....

But if you have a Beolink 1000 it is: LIGHT - GOTO - 0 - STORE - 3 (4). I think there must be a Beolink 1000 or a Beo4 somewhere in Paris or London.....................................................

Stefan 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)