in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-28-2008 6:39 PM by Puncher. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-28-2008 2:09 PM

Does anyone know of a cheap and reliable DIY vhs to PC media file conversion?

Hi:

As I have probably mentioned a couple of times, I am building a media server. Now I am thinking about the media I am going to put on it. Does anyone know of a program/peripheral that I can buy that will allow me to convert VHS files to some kind of useable media file. The cheaper the better and if doesn't involve using an actual VHS Player that would be good because no doubt getting B&O ones to work with generic PC equipment is going to be fun.

Thanks

Graham 

• 08-28-2008 2:11 PM In reply to

Re: Does anyone know of a cheap and reliable DIY vhs to PC media file conversion?

VHS tapes - not files - I want to get the programs off of a tape and convert to PC media (sorry for the confusion if there was any).
  • 08-28-2008 3:16 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Does anyone know of a cheap and reliable DIY vhs to PC media file conversion?

Easiest way I know of is an analogue TV card in your PC. RF out from VCR to RF in of TV card. Obviously a slight quality drop but dead simple, cheap and any old VCR will do.

There may even be options of composite or S-Video, I can't remember - depends on the TV card you get I suppose.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 08-28-2008 3:41 PM In reply to

Ah excellent, well I have a TV card in my computer, just not in the server so I guess I can transfer it using the method you described and then just transfer the files to the server via wifi or whatever.

Thanks Puncher

• 08-28-2008 6:39 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Graham1982:

Ah excellent, well I have a TV card in my computer, just not in the server so I guess I can transfer it using the method you described and then just transfer the files to the server via wifi or whatever.

Thanks Puncher

Sounds like a plan - you may consider some software to compress the mpeg file that results, there's plenty available on t'net but the transfer should go well.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)