in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-10-2008 1:18 AM by Cleviebaby. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-07-2008 2:37 PM

Avant 28 RF DVD, Avant RF or Beovision 3 32 with stand and storage

I have a problem. 

I can't decide whether to buy an Avant 28 RF 100hz either with or without DVD (circa 2003) or a Beosystem 3 same vintage) including motorised stand and the 3 shelf storage unit for STB, DVD etc.  All appear mint and from the same source.   Experiences and opinions on sound quality, DVD quality of the Avant and the aesthetics of the Beovision 3 (not one of David Lewis's better efforts in my opinion) would be really appreciated

Cleviebaby 

• 08-07-2008 10:30 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: Avant 28 RF DVD, Avant RF or Beovision 3 32 with stand and storage

Hi! I have to disagree with you on the aesthetics of the BV3, and i thought the same thing until i owned one.

It's a modern looking CRT, and most mistake it for a plasma or lcd. I would also, in your case have no problem in choosing - the 3-32 is bigger, more bang for your buck, and i've read that the avant and BV3 share the excact same picture quality, as they both share the same tube. 

The down side to the BV3 to the Avant is the sound, however i don't know what the avant 28 has, but i know the avant 32's speakers are much better than the BV3's little speakers. 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-08-2008 7:48 AM In reply to

Dave,

Thanks very much.  The amplification and speakers on the 28" Avant are the same as on the 32" and sound excellent.

It's still a tricky decision -I've always really wanted the Avant but the 3, as you say, offers a lot of bang for your buck.

Take care

Cleve  

• 08-08-2008 8:46 AM In reply to

Tough choice.

The Avant maybe has a built in surround decoder if thats a plus for you?

The DVD quality on the Avant is outstanding. I had the same one in 32" and everyone who saw a DVD movie on it, complimented the picture quality.

In my opinion the Avant is one of the best televisions in the world...EVER!  I personally think the design is top knotch.

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 08-08-2008 8:51 AM In reply to

Personally, having owned RF Avants for a number of years, I find them pretty bland to look at as a piece of furniture ... more striking if you go for the red one, but this is not everyone's choice.  Picture quality and sound cannot be faulted ... personally, I like my MX7000 ... its timeless and coupled with a DVD1 gives me everything I need for a fraction of the cost.

Neil

• 08-08-2008 10:32 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I just feel that you may not enjoy living with the smaller screen, and the way the avant is designed leaves it a little bit rude for a room (out of place). B&O gear tends to look like it just 'belongs' in the room, but i do find that the Avant is an exception to this... all a matter of taste isn't it. Both are good options, just different really.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-08-2008 10:55 AM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

Always thought I wanted the Avant as best TV etc then started looking at BV3. Didn't like appearance originally then just grew and grew on me Avant now looks, dare I say it, old-fashioned in comparison. Haven't done a side by side comparison but v happy with my choice. I love the storage unit  (so much easier than hanging everything off the back of the TV!) Suspect sound quality better in Avant but I have BV3 combined with BL8000 and very good though could do with BL2 for movies. Ultimately if from the same source you can compare side by side, but if, as I sense, you're tempted by the BV3 but worry you're making the "wrong" decision don't worry - you'll love it (which ever you choose!)

BS3200 BV7 BV3 BL8000 BG4000 BL4500 PC2 BG5500 MX4002

• 08-08-2008 12:00 PM In reply to

Thank you - nice to get the Danish perspective! 
  • 08-08-2008 12:05 PM In reply to

Neil,

Thanks.  I think I know what you mean - I love my 17 year old MX which is still going strong in a second room, but my LX5500 picture is dying (text, subtitles etc distorting and blurring around the edge of the screen) and I want a similar sized screen with equally as good sound or better sound. 

• 08-08-2008 12:09 PM In reply to

You have a point.  The 28" widescreens look smaller than my LX5500 so maybe I need the 32" to minimse the slight "sense of loss" a 16:9 ratio widescreen can give

Cleve

• 08-08-2008 12:11 PM In reply to

Thansk Dylan,

The storage is a big factor - I have a non-B&O DVD player at the moment so at least I can hide it and the STB!

• 08-09-2008 4:44 AM In reply to

I think a lot depends on the space you are going to put the TV in and also how close you are to the set. I used to have a BV3 on the stand and loved it, but they do take up a lot of space and you've got all the wiring to sort out whereas everything is integrated in the Avant.

Recently I bought an Avant 32 for my living room, then moved the room round and found it to be too big so I swapped it with the Avant 28 in my bedroom (which turned out to be a lot newer and resolved all the link problems I was having and the Dolby module is digital rather than pro). Now I have the perfect setup as the Tv in the living room doesn't dominate and is close to the sofa - the 32 in the bedroom is great as I'm further away from it and it's fantastic watching films on a big screen in bed.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 08-10-2008 1:18 AM In reply to

Thank you. 
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)