in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-08-2008 3:50 AM by MartinM. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-07-2008 5:58 AM

• MartinM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

Beogram CD50 not playing disc. Clicking noise from laser

I've recently purchased a Beogram CD50. However when attempting to play a disc, 1 is displayed then CD is ejected. I've taken the cover off and observed that the motor spins and a clicking noise heard from laser unit. From what I have read, often the motor is at fault and needs to be taken apart, cleaned and relubed. What I am unsure about is how you remove the motor as the brass spindle under it stops the motor from being removed. Is there some sort of screw that locks the spindle to the shaft? Any assistance on the steps of disassembling the motor would be greatly appreciated.

Filed under:
  • 08-07-2008 6:10 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Beogram CD50 not playing disc. Clicking noise from laser

MartinM:

I've recently purchased a Beogram CD50. However when attempting to play a disc, 1 is displayed then CD is ejected. I've taken the cover off and observed that the motor spins and a clicking noise heard from laser unit. From what I have read, often the motor is at fault and needs to be taken apart, cleaned and relubed. What I am unsure about is how you remove the motor as the brass spindle under it stops the motor from being removed. Is there some sort of screw that locks the spindle to the shaft? Any assistance on the steps of disassembling the motor would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I'm not insulting you when I point out that the CD needs to be "upside down" in the CD50.

Regarding the motor - I believe it needs to be pressed apart - not for the faint-hearted although there are those here who can do it for you.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 08-07-2008 7:07 AM In reply to

I had a similar problem with mine a few months ago. Light lubrication of the moving parts of the tray mechanism, as well as adjusting one (can't remember which) of the tiny switches that tell the CD player that a CD is loaded and the tray is closed (might have been the switch that is closed by the big cam when the tray is shut) did the job for me.

It did take ages to work out what was wrong. Martin (Dillen) was very helpful. The thread is here

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-07-2008 8:50 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The clicking comes from the laser lens, moved back and forth, hitting the end stops in an attempt to find the focus point. This is the symptoms that so many repairers diagnose as a bad laser and, admittently, it looks like exactly that but it's not ! It's the spindle motor that is at fault. It runs, yes, and if you rotate it by hand it seems to run freely, just not freely enough. You will notice the difference after the repair. Of course, the laser LED could be faulty, I've just never seen one that was yet, and I've seen many CD50's.

There's a hex grub screw at the side of the CD clamp. Note the position of the clamp (distance from the base) or you will have to adjust it later using trial and error and CD's of different thickness. The service manual gives a firm measurement but I've found it to be useless in practice.

And do be careful when you press the motor apart. The housing distorts easily and the magnets inside are brittle. Notice the axial play it has before disassembling and try to obtain the same when pressing it back together.

There is a number of silicon washers inside and outside of the motor, take a note of how many and which ones goes where.

Martin

• 08-07-2008 11:39 AM In reply to

hello martin ,

just an off topic question .my beomaster 5000 has a little problem and need your advise .

yesterday , the volume down button has no response even i pressed on it . today , i cannot even open the front panel door . is it easy to fix ? how can i disassembly the front panel and access the button inside ? please help . thank you .

regards

david

• 08-07-2008 12:02 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The flex-ribbon cable to the flip-down front is broken, this is very common. It's no longer available as a spare part but you can make your own from thin flexible wire. Problem is to get in there, it's a fiddly job.

You can force open the front panel by pulling its left side using a bit of "controlled finger-force".

Martin

• 08-07-2008 12:52 PM In reply to

Dillen:

Problem is to get in there, it's a fiddly job.

hi martin ,

thanks for your advise . will try to open the front panel , do the fiddly job and get in THERE . 

david

• 08-08-2008 3:50 AM In reply to

• MartinM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

Yes, I'm aware that it loads upside down.

There is an article out by Anthony Garza about servicing the motor. However the procedure  on removing the motor is a little vague.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)