in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-02-2008 6:36 AM by jerrymyr. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2008 2:30 PM

rx-2 turntable intermittently works

Hello!.....and help!!!!

I have an RX-2 turntable that works for 1-2 months, then stops working for 1 month or so, and will not start, then...miraculously...starts working sometime later.

Yes, i do place an album on the platter, and then hit the front right edge of the strip, to get it to turn on, but...nothing happens.

Again...sometime later, i try an album, and...all of a sudden, it works...for a few weeks.

What can i do myself to lubricate, adjust, etc? I WOULD need to know how to start some simple disassembly.

THANK YOU, my friends, for your help in this matter.

PS...brought it in for servicing, and they said that they did nothing to it...it worked fine!! UGH !!!

Jerry

jermyrauto@verizon.net, if needed.

• 12-01-2008 3:47 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: rx-2 turntable intermittently works

It could well be the start switch which is at fault. They are very simple copper domes which make contact in the centre when they are pressed. They have a habit of oxidising and the best way to get them working again is to press them constantly to break throught he oxidisation.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-01-2008 7:18 PM In reply to

Hello Chris!
    My sincere THANKS!!

IS THERE...anything that i can do physically to expose the contacts, and burnish them a bit? Spray cleaners, etc??? IF it IS a possibility, how do i disassemble it enough to expose them?

Lastly, do i remember correctly that there is a fuse somewhere inside?

I know it's all or none re fuses, but i just happened to wonder about it as i was answering you.

Again...i thank you...very much!!!!!!!!

Jerry

• 12-02-2008 3:16 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Yes, if you undo the 2 screws underneath at the front edge this will allow you to remove the top plate - be careful doing this as it is easy to catch the tonearm which you really don't want to damage. There will also be a multi connector for the top buttons to unplug to allow you to remove it completely. At the front edge the switch can be seen easily, and if my memeory serves me correctly it is simply pushed into a slot. The switch assembly is self evident when you see it.

With the top plate removed you have access to the entire workings, the internal fuse will be somewhere around the power supply transformer, it sould have a value of T 500mA.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-02-2008 6:36 AM In reply to

Hello Chris!!!
    YOU sir, are a gentleman!!

I will be sure to give it a try soon.

I...DO......THANK YOU, kind sir!!

Respectfully

Jerry 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)