in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-18-2008 3:14 PM by burantek. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-18-2008 1:05 PM

Mac - Creating a network?

I have a mac mini connected to the internet via a airport extreme base station.  I also have  airport airtunes connected to myBC9500.  At present I have to select one or the other which means that once I have finished on the internet (Beoworld) and then want to use my iPhone to control itunes via my Airtunes/BC9500 I have to go to the computer and select a different network.  I am convinced that knowing Apple there must be an easier way so that I do not have to manually choose one or the other.  Please can anyone help.

(ps I am a simple guy and easily baffled  with science, so if you could keep it simple I would appreciate it.)

Many thanks for any advice you can offer

Peter.

• 07-18-2008 1:22 PM In reply to

Re: Mac - Creating a network?

i have (had) a similar set-up.

in simplest terms, you want to use the extreme to establish the network, and use the express as a client, rather than establish a separate network...

i will try to find some better links, but this may help for now...

Extend Your Wireless Network and Play Tunes with AirPort Express

note: page 3, is what you want, except you will join an existing network (your extreme) -not extend as in the link (unless that is what you want to accomplish) -you will need to hard reset your express, and treat it as though you just pulled it out of the box!

++++edit++++

here is a direct link to the apple site that is prob better!

apple
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 07-18-2008 2:26 PM In reply to

You have 2 different options.

First, as said before, you can configure the express as a normal client (like the mini) to join the existing network of the extreme. Very simple to set up.

Second you could build a WDS (wireless distribution network). This will create a single network out of the extreme and the express together. Express will not work as a simple client, in will extend the range of network. Usefull for big flats or difficult circumstances (i.e. lots of concrete walls). This way you could walk around with a portable device (macbook or iphone) and connect to the web more far away from the extreme (which I assume is near your dsl outlet). A little bit more difficult to set up, but considering you are using apple-only equipment, this should also work just fine.

Decide yourself, which mode suites you best. 

• 07-18-2008 2:56 PM In reply to

BURANTEK,

Thank you so much I followed the instructions on the first, very simple link you sent me and first time it works perfectly and now I am currently (after just 5 mins) using both the internet and able to control iTunes with my iPhone at the same time.  Many thanks for your help.  This is one of the reason I so enjoy Beoworld and Mac,  they both just work and complement each other.

Many thanks for your help

Peter G 

• 07-18-2008 3:14 PM In reply to

peter,

no prob. glad it worked out! -i had just been thru a similar situation -and this greatly simplified things.

re: beoberlin and wds -that also works well w/ the caveat of all devices being apple as mentioned. i find the extreme ample for my environs -i placed it relatively central to my mobile computing. my g5 is hardwired, btw... so, if you find you need better coverage, follow beoberlin's suggestion of wds.
    • B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)