in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-19-2008 10:16 AM by wonderfulelectric. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-18-2008 2:44 PM

Strange BeoLab 4 pricing

So I just bought a BeoLab 4 PC to be used solely for my Imac. And I must say wow to the nearfield performance. The image is rock solid, right between the speakers and the sound is crystalline. Very pure though slightly sharp at the top. However, the farfield performance is kinda below par which I think it's due to the flimsily built cabinet and of course the size. And why do I feel it is more detailed than the Beolab 8000 and Besound 9000 combo that I also happen to own? Anyways on to the point of this post. Has anyone noticed the price of BeoLab4 on the American Apple web shop? It is only priced at USD$999 which translates to SGD$1349 and 499 sterling for the version with powerlink. And guess how much I bought the PC versions for in Singapore ? SGD$2500, USD$1851 and 924 sterling . Just what is going on ladies and gentlemen? The price listed on the web also seemed to be per pair and not per piece BTW. Weak US dollars? I don't think so, even with the old exchange, it is only gonna be SGD$1600 max. Any idea? 

Also on the side note, B&O should make better compact loudspeakers, I was trying to get a good pair of active loudspeakers for my smallish room. I started with the idea of Beolab 9 but settled for an ATC SCM20-2 instead just because the Beolab 9's bass is too deep and too loud for my room. Those are some deal breakers i never thought I will factor. BTW did anyone hear the ATC's before? I had to order them unheard since my dealer doesn't keep them in stock. 

• 07-18-2008 3:55 PM In reply to

Re: Strange BeoLab 4 pricing

Beolab 3s are good compact speakers!
  • 07-18-2008 4:10 PM In reply to

haha... I thought the Beolab 3s weren't high-end enough. God I am so spoilt. lol... Anyways I was kinda apprehensive because of the bad reviews it got in the forum. Like "go with the Beolab 8000s instead." BTW. I just read an article from stereophile that stand mounts will most often sound more transparent than its floorstanding counterparts regardless of the volume of air it contains because a tall speaker will have a resonance mode in the lower frequency region and a shorter speaker with equivalent air volume will have a resonance mode in the higher frequency region with is a lot more benign than resonances in the lower frequencies. So I believe the Beolab 3s will have a more accurate sound than the Beolab 8000s. Speaking of which I was really hoping to get the Beolab 3s for my imac but it will be kinda nuts cos then I will have to get a high-end sound card to maximize its performance so I have chosen the more zen Beolab 4 approach.
  • 07-18-2008 4:57 PM In reply to

I believe that the Beolab 4 is under $1,000 in all US B and O stores also.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 07-18-2008 5:09 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The ATCs are fantastic speakers! I had a pair of SCM7s (the generation before the current ones) for a while, and they were fantastic little speakers, despite them being in the same position B&O had already reached back in the 70s visually and in concept. ATC also happen to have pioneered professional sound in the studio, and even helped towards some of the huge progression in live sound/PA work back in the late 70s/early 80s.

Nonetheless, you would have found the BeoLab 3 to be an excellent loudspeaker in terms of hi-end sound. To give you an idea, Bowers & Wilkins, who are one of the most respected loudspeaker manufacturers fall far short of the BeoLab 3 when it comes to compact speakers. The closest they offer to the BeoLab 3 would be the 804, which is a large passive floorstander. There's absolutely no beating the BeoLab 3s when it comes to producing a large sound for their size which can compete with the sound of many much, much larger speakers. Sure, the ATCs will play hellova lot louder, but the BeoLab 3 can play as loud as you're going to need for even a relatively noisy party...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-18-2008 5:40 PM In reply to

Thanks Razlaw for confirming the price on the web. I am totally gonna get more B&O when I am in the states. BTW are all B&O product prices really low in the states right now in comparison with other countries?
  • 07-18-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

Thanks Alex for the reply! haha... What I meant was that the BeoLab9s will be way too loud for my smallish room. Sorry for the awkward phrasing just now. 
  • 07-18-2008 7:28 PM In reply to

I can't speak to US prices compared to the rest of the world. A couple of examples of US prices would be Beolab 9s are $9900 and BV7 with motorized stand and BL7 is $14,250.

• 07-18-2008 10:10 PM In reply to

The PC version is 999. You can buy it onlne from the Apple Store or from B&O online store. US only. The Powerlink version is 200 or 300$ more. Keep in mind US prices are always -plus sales tax where applicable (depends on the ship to state) while european prices inlcude up to 20% or so sales tax.

Cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-19-2008 4:26 AM In reply to

Thanks Razlaw. Beolab 9 is totally lower priced in the states. Say after tax in NYC it will be about USD$ 10890 which is about SGD$14714 and in Singapore is SGD$16200 and USD$11990. Not a big difference but Singapore used to be 'bargain' central, and now everything is just getting way too expensive for no reason cos the standard of living here is not higher than many major cities. 
  • 07-19-2008 5:47 AM In reply to

when i was in new york looked at the bv9 lot cheaper than uk, microsoft cheaper to, half price, vista home upgrade 99 dollars  price in uk 99 pounds  this was last year.

malcolm

• 07-19-2008 8:33 AM In reply to

Also, remember in the US if you live in one state, and buy from a dealer in another state and have the item shipped, there is no sales tax.

Sales tax in most areas is between 6% and 9%.

• 07-19-2008 10:16 AM In reply to

You know I remember a time when I will shy away from buying stuff in the states because it will always be more expensive than back home but now everything has changed. Now the labels in NYC are way cheaper than in SG. Seriously, I am so glad I will be moving over for my studies next spring. 
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)