in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-02-2008 11:50 PM by mor. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-02-2008 9:26 AM

• Sibtain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2008
    • Buckinghamshire
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

Beocenter AV5 - does it play VCD's??

Hi All,

I received my Beocenter AV5 the other day & am so happy with it.

I haven't tried to play VCD's on there yet but was just wondering if anyone already knew if it works?

cheers,

Sibtain

• 07-02-2008 9:34 AM In reply to

Re: Beocenter AV5 - does it play VCD's??

Unlikely.
  • 07-02-2008 11:33 AM In reply to

Possibly:

The AV5 was conceived as something a bit special, as the CD player was also a video source. Ill conceived is probably a better expression, as by the time it was launched, formats such as CD-I and PhotoCD, the type of systems the AV5 was based around, were dying through lack of interest, making the AV5’s centerpiece useless. Worse still, the AV5 could not play DVDs, the now established video CD format with a large range of titles. Nor could it read PC style CD ROMs, another established format. As if this was not bad enough, the cost of this useless hardware made the AV5 cost nearly as much as the widescreen Beovision Avant, which also included a rather more useful VHS video recorder. Text copyright © Beocentral. Unauthorised reproduction prohibited.

As the CD-i had a video cartridge installed which allowed it to play VCDs this might be what the above text is referring to. However, I had a CD-i and thought that this format was and therefore is cack. OK pioneering for the time but grainy at best now. That said, eBay must be full of vcds. that are dirt cheap.

Would be interesting to see if it plays the games as well. Knowing Philips they transplanted the drive from a CD-i straight into the televison, thus although I am pushing it this might be a hidden bonus!

• 07-02-2008 9:16 PM In reply to

hi

ive had a beocentre av5 since 1999 and it is truly superb. it does play vcd's

it still looks brand new and performs perfectly as you'd expect from b+o

• 07-02-2008 11:50 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

I have had an AV 5 for some years and it played back VCD like a charm. Besides from the short palyback time of the CDV format due to the used encoding (MPEG1) I can only but recommend the set.

Do play around with the formats settings some though when burning your CDVs: there are encoders that offer additional compression and features like chapters etc. Those add-ons are not always compatible with the AV5's CDI/CDV stack

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)