in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-18-2008 4:17 AM by ChrDH. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-16-2008 2:45 PM

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Just bought a pair of Beovox 5000 Panel Speakers, what is the perfect placement height??

Hi everybody

I just picked up a pair of Beovox 5000 for just £150, the seller was very surprised how short time the add had to be on DBA.dk J

Anyway, I am thinking about using the Beovox 5000 as main speakers in the livingroom instead of my trusty old (actually newer than the beovox) B&W P5 rosewood box speaker. But what height should I mount them in? Mounting them too high makes them a little dominating I think, but I suppose the treble units should be in the same height as your ears when sitting and listening in the sofa. So, any suggestions?

By the way, what do people think of the sound of the Beovox 5000 panelspaeker? Compared to the B&W P5 they lack some bass (although that might be because they are not wall mouted yet) and they lack a little perspective (but on that playingfield the B&W are perfect). Is shifting to Beovox panels too much downgrading regarding sound quality??

Best regards,

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 06-16-2008 4:08 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Just bought a pair of Beovox 5000 Panel Speakers, what is the perfect placement height??

Good question!

I've never heard the P5's - but i'm looking forward to this answer!

Lee

Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-16-2008 4:16 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Just bought a pair of Beovox 5000 Panel Speakers, what is the perfect placement height??

As you suspect, the 5000's rely on being wall mounted to achieve their bass performance.

The user manual doesn't give any recomendation regarding optimum mounting height and it's difficult to experiment without leaving you wall full of holesBig Smile

I think you will have to rely on recommendations from current/previous owners.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-17-2008 4:08 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Yes, it is a bit of a problem that I can't really review the Beovox 5000 without drilling holes in the wall, but so far I think the Beovox5000 is ok regarding bass, got a nice open, airy sound, while the P5 are more neutral and not as easy-listening as the beovox5000. So for casual listening the beovox5000 are probably better than my P5s, but for serious listening the P5 got the upper hand. There is a tread about the P5 here: http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/b-and-w/floorstanding-speakers/p5/PRD_119143_1594crx.aspx

If I don't use the Beovox 5000 in the living room, they will be put on the wall in the study.

br.

Chr.

• 06-17-2008 8:37 AM In reply to

Hi Christian,

150,= ? that's a real bargain, have fun with them ! I've owned a pair of those, had them on the wall in the livingroom and I really liked them, I've replaced them with their active 5000 brothers in combination with our penta's for surround sake. The sound of the 5000 is very good imho open sound with sufficient bass coming from the walls, in comparison to the B&W P5 [to which I've listened to just once or twice at a friends place] the sound is just about the same, allthough I do prefer the Beovox5000 both in sound as in good looks........:-)

How high on the waal ? that's just a matter of [good] taste; if you want the best sound place them low on the wall - if you want the best looks, place them a bit higher, I've got mine bottom at about 1 mtr. from the floor [somewhere in between I suppose].

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 06-17-2008 9:29 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Yes, it was a real bargain, the steel parts are in perfect condition, and only one hole in the corner of one of the frets, so all in all in good condition.

Yes, actually i was surprised how little the sound of the 5000 differed from the B&W P5's, so I suppose I can live with the small downgrade in sound quality in return for better looks and about one ekstra square meter of livingroom space Big Smile

I think I'll place them so that the midle of the speaker is in ear height, because the treble unit is in the middle. But probably I'll try to hold them up un the wall while my girlfriend evaluates... Too high on the wall is probably not an option, it will make them look too big.

By the way, do you think the steel-parts should be facing towards each other or away from each other? By shifting the speakers one can change the looks easily, but is there a right and a wrong way??

BR and thanks for all the suggestions

Chr

• 06-17-2008 9:59 AM In reply to

Hi Christian,

a real bargain, well done.  I don't think there is a right or wrong way to have them - steel panel on left or right and should be up to you.  So long as the speakers are set for the appropriate side it's a matter of aesthetics, personal preference and what else you have to go with them.  I've recently wall mounted my Beolab 4500's after having them on the floor for a while and the sound difference is noticable as the wall gets used.  Mine are mounted so that they are slightly above ear height when seated for watching the TV = slightly below ear height when music is played and I'm on the move or doing other things in the room.  It suits me and I think that's what is important.

Best regards,

Dave

Am I ready? I was born ready!

• 06-17-2008 1:36 PM In reply to

• Mico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Finland
    • Posts 136
    • Founder

Can't comment on the comparison. I've had the 5000's from new and am very satisfied with the sound.

Regarding height: They were originally designed to have 85 cm cable cover below the speakers (optional part from B&O). That way you can calculate the installation height.

• 06-17-2008 2:00 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The P5s will probably be more neutral - B&W tend to have a very 'studio-y' sound to them, whilst the older B&O speakers tend to be more appropriate as 'listening' speakers (although the M150s are very neutral). B&O's latest speakers seem to have changed a lot though - the BeoLab 5 being the most neutral speaker on the market in terms of frequency plots.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-17-2008 3:13 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

davefarr:

Hi Christian,

a real bargain, well done.  I don't think there is a right or wrong way to have them - steel panel on left or right and should be up to you.  So long as the speakers are set for the appropriate side it's a matter of aesthetics, personal preference and what else you have to go with them.  I've recently wall mounted my Beolab 4500's after having them on the floor for a while and the sound difference is noticable as the wall gets used.  Mine are mounted so that they are slightly above ear height when seated for watching the TV = slightly below ear height when music is played and I'm on the move or doing other things in the room.  It suits me and I think that's what is important.

Best regards,

Dave

Wow, nice set-up. Mine is not that much different, I got a MX6000 and VX7000 on motorstand, a Ouverture on the wall and i think I'll mount the bv5000 so that the upper part of the speaker is the same height as the ouverture (145 cm above the floor) so that the bottem of the loudspeaker is 60 cm above the floor.

br

Christian

• 06-17-2008 3:15 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

I very much agree with you on that one Alex, older/mid aged B&O speakers are almost always pleasant to listen to, while B&W is probably more neutral/clean.

br

Christian

• 06-17-2008 3:20 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

I'm really jealous!!

My all time favorite speakers, a similar design today would sell loads!

• 06-18-2008 4:15 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

I have now removed the B&W P5 speakers and placed the BV5000 on the floor below their new place. Sorry for the quality of the pic, it is taken with my phone. My idea is that the top of the speakers and the top of the ouverture should be in the same height.

br

Christian

• 06-18-2008 4:17 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

the right part

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)