in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-21-2007 5:53 AM by gk31ax. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-11-2007 2:22 PM

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

MacBook Pro and external screen

If I connect a MacBook Pro to an external screen, would it then be possible to turn on the laptop and operate it with external mouse and keyboard, without having to have the Macbook opened up??
  • 06-11-2007 5:27 PM In reply to

Re: MacBook Pro and external screen

Yeah, it´s possible and even officially supported by Apple. The keyword is "lid-closed mode", works with mb and mbp, have a look:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/comparison_chart.html

To work properly the power adaptor has to be plugged in, it works not with the battery only. Then connect ext. keyboard and mouse to the book and send it to sleep by closing the display. Now press any key or mouse button and the cpu will wake up. Although this is supported by Apple, i wouldn´t recommend working this way, as cooling not only works through the openings in the back but also through the keyboard etc...

Regards, beoberlin 
  • 06-12-2007 2:05 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Nice Thanks for the answer. 

Now I'm just wondering if I should wait for Leopard in october, but if I keep postponing it, everytime something new is on the way, then I can wait forever right...

• 06-12-2007 3:45 AM In reply to

I have been running a MacBook Pro like this for over a year, with no problems.
    However, as Beoberlin points out, you do reduce the cooling some, which means that the fan will kick in - and that can be noisy.

I wake up the Mac using the Apple remote or my mobile phone (which has Salling Clicker installed). It also works with keyboards/standalone mice. There's a keyboard from Logitech that has an integrated mouse/pad, and that also looks quite nifty.
    There's also a bit of software called Buddy Remote that gives you access to all of your programs through the Apple Remote, which I'm going to try in this mode.

A friend took away the raised rubber pads on his MacBook Pro and placed the computer on a slab of metal, which he claims sucks heat away from the computer. Haven't tried that ... There are settings you can use to suppress when the fan hits in, as well as software that will help you do that. I have found that it helps to turn off all apps you're not using, reducing the number of windows, deactivating Dashboard (a real CPU hog) and avoid using Firefox while watching movies/listening to music. Then the fan kicks in very rarely.

• 06-21-2007 5:53 AM In reply to

Thanks for the tip on Buddy Remote !!!
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)