in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-10-2008 9:52 AM by Erik-nl. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-09-2008 12:24 PM

Fixing stuff

Hi:

This is not a post intended to massage my ego or blow my own metaphorical trumpet. I hope that it does however, provide inspiration for people to "have a go" rather than spend money unnecessarily. 

I have a GCSE in electronics and have built PCs and stuff before so I am fairly tech savvy. However,  I would not want to mess around building or repairing power supplies etc. Thus I do not have as much knowledge as many of the people that belong to this forum.

Anyway, yesterday I repaired a B&O vhs replacing a non-functioning power supply board with a working one. This did not require much electronic knowledge, rather the ability to use a screwdriver and to slot the old board and cable out and connect the new one up. The whole process of fault finding and sourcing the part etc took in total about two hours (thanks Solderon for the part). All of which would have been much more difficult if I did not have the forum members to help me.

By my estimate, if I had taken this into B&O this might of cost in the region of £80!

Thus, it really is worth having a go on your own if you think you can. Obviously I do not recomend it if you have no experience as  I do not want to get sued if you blow yourself up. However...

Thanks

Graham 

• 06-09-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Re: Fixing stuff

Congratulations! It's a lot of fun when you can fix simple stuff yourself and very fulfilling. I not a technician, but as I kid I loved soldering stuff and with the help of all the info on Beoworld, you can do a lot yourself. Technical members such as Dillen have left so much valuable info here. I,ve changed a 110V Beogram 7000 to a 220V one with the help of Graham and a changed caps on a Beolink 7000 with the help of The Bogener. I've opened up Beocords and Beogram Record Decks for simple stuff such as belts and lubrication. Polishing record player dust covers is also very rewarding! My next project is changing capacitors on a Beogram 8002 that I just bought, with one of Dillen's caps kits. It still works fine, but the caps are getting old by the look of them.
  • 06-09-2008 1:48 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Graham1982:

Hi:

This is not a post intended to massage my ego or blow my own metaphorical trumpet. I hope that it does however, provide inspiration for people to "have a go" rather than spend money unnecessarily. 

I have a GCSE in electronics and have built PCs and stuff before so I am fairly tech savvy. However,  I would not want to mess around building or repairing power supplies etc. Thus I do not have as much knowledge as many of the people that belong to this forum.

Anyway, yesterday I repaired a B&O vhs replacing a non-functioning power supply board with a working one. This did not require much electronic knowledge, rather the ability to use a screwdriver and to slot the old board and cable out and connect the new one up. The whole process of fault finding and sourcing the part etc took in total about two hours (thanks Solderon for the part). All of which would have been much more difficult if I did not have the forum members to help me.

By my estimate, if I had taken this into B&O this might of cost in the region of £80!

Thus, it really is worth having a go on your own if you think you can. Obviously I do not recomend it if you have no experience as  I do not want to get sued if you blow yourself up. However...

Thanks

Graham 

Thats it all hope is lost for you now. Time to start looking on Ebay for the non working B&O items to see what you can fix. Once you start you can't stop.LaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-09-2008 1:56 PM In reply to

This could be the start of a new hobby as Craig pointed out. Me, I'm to scared to blow myself up...Laughing

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 06-09-2008 1:56 PM In reply to

Well I've said it before but I'm not good at fixing B&O. The stuff I end up with needs repairs anyway so Dillen is the guy making sure it works right after 20 odd years of age.

My BM8000 is a good example. It blew fuses and when Dillen got it open he found it full of loose connections and former "work" done that needed to be done proper.

In shorth as long as he is happy fixing it(my B&O) he's better than I will ever be of doing the electronics. I call it outsourcing.

I do hope that once it's fixed it will work for a long time. My former Beosystem 2000 ('80s) worked for 3 years without any trouble and then sold. That was before Dillen so a local B&O center did the work. That was ok for the price but going to Beosystem 6000/8000 proved more trouble in getting them to fix it right besides the expensive work charge. My Beogram 8002 cost about 215£ to fix and nearly dead after 2-3 months. Dillen finally got it and to this day still play wonderfully with no problems what's so ever.

Ok I have put new belts in 2 of my Beocords and changed the fuses but they still need Dillen for the final tjeck.

• 06-09-2008 1:58 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Friedmett:

. I call it outsourcing.

Why not, dillen seems superb at repairing B&O.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-09-2008 2:11 PM In reply to

I've made a full round already. Just got me another Beomaster 900K Laughing This one didn't need actual repairs, just cleaning of the crackling pots and switches, an adjustment of the dial clutch, and a good sanding, oiling and polishing of the wood parts, which had the obligatory flower pot marks. Looks like new!

-mika

• 06-09-2008 6:10 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Good for you Graham.
    I have never been able to solder satisfactorily but managed to fix my errant Penta by re-soldering all the joints on the little circuit board where the DIN sockets are. Very satisfying!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-10-2008 8:48 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I have gradually improved my skills in doing my own repairs but unfortunately I am no where near being able to diagnose problems etc... Thats what I find most frustrating. Replacing parts is easy, which are the broken ones is the big problem!!

Durban South Africa

• 06-10-2008 9:52 AM In reply to

I am a frequent user of my Bang & Olufsen bier opener, I have tried anything but it will not break.

However I it one day breaks then I hope that I will be able to weld it back to gether Laughing

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)