in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-15-2008 10:10 PM by auric. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-07-2008 1:47 PM

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

New issue with a Beogram 4002

New issue with a Beogram 4002.

I had a problem with the tone arm making very broad back and forth movements, about 4-5mm during play. An adjustment of the diaphragm corrected this.

However now during play the tonearm moves fairly close to the other arm. Once at rest the arms are equal distance, but as soon as the tone arm begins to play, it “catches up” with the sensor arm.

What do I do about this?

Jeff

• 04-07-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

Re: New issue with a Beogram 4002

Jeff:

1) Manually pull the lever that is normally triggered by the solenoid. The arms should be parallel when the tone arm drops. If not that tone arm and the sensor arm are not properly aligned.

There are instructions in the service manual that show how to adjust this.

The arms will (in most cases) always be parallel at rest position. There is a "V" groove cut into the mechanism that lowers and raises the arm and this will always force it to center.

What you need to determine is if it will stay parallel without any external force.

2) The optical switch (plate with slot cut in it) that regulates the lateral movement of the tone arm needs to be precisely adjusted. If not the arm will not be parallel during play.

Derek

• 04-07-2008 9:49 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Thanks Derek,

It sure helps having an idea what to do BEFORE you start on one of these adjustments.

When I adjusted the diaphragm to curtail the 4-5mm back and forth horizontal arm movement, the first thing I noticed was the tonearm did not pick up at end of play. Another simple adjustment, but I didn’t think to check play position of the tonearm.

I appreciate the guidance!

Jeff

• 05-11-2008 6:22 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Derek,

You were exactly correct, the tonearm and sensor were slightly out of adjustment.

A tiny nudge of the sensor to the left and the arms are parallel again.

Thank you so much for such an easy fix.

Jeff

• 05-15-2008 10:10 PM In reply to

Hi Jeff:

Happy to know you got it to work!

Derek

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)