in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-12-2008 1:51 PM by Alex. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-12-2008 6:43 AM

CRT Monitor/CRT Televison Resoloutions

Hi:

I am looking to connect my desktop PC with composite out to my Beovision 1. The last time I connected the same PC to my old Avant the resolution was not good enough for me to read icons or text of any kind but was perfect for watching films.

I am thinking (perhaps naively) that as my Beovision 1 is much newer (2004) that it might be more capable of displaying a PC image in a way in which I can read it. Ultimately I would like to be able to do away with my monitor.

Is this physically possible and if so what resolution should I try?

Thanks

Graham

• 05-12-2008 7:00 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: CRT Monitor/CRT Televison Resoloutions

Graham1982:

Hi:

I am looking to connect my desktop PC with composite out to my Beovision 1. The last time I connected the same PC to my old Avant the resolution was not good enough for me to read icons or text of any kind but was perfect for watching films.

I am thinking (perhaps naively) that as my Beovision 1 is much newer (2004) that it might be more capable of displaying a PC image in a way in which I can read it. Ultimately I would like to be able to do away with my monitor.

Is this physically possible and if so what resolution should I try?

Thanks

Graham

I don't think you'll have any more joy this time around. I would have thought the best you could hope for would be 640x480 and, even then I would imagine it'll shimmer and be waring on the eyes.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-12-2008 8:06 AM In reply to

• madskp
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

If you really wan't a better picture you should try using SVHS instead of composite. This will make a better picture in my opinion
  • 05-12-2008 9:59 AM In reply to

CRT Televisions lack the resolution to be used as computer monitors, sadly this isn't changed by having sa very new one!

Simon 

• 05-12-2008 10:17 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

In the good old Commodore Amiga days you could use either a "real" computer monitor or use a modulator to a "normal" portable TV. The picture using the modulator was rubbish, however you could buy TV's with what were called "2000 character" CRT's which were in essense Computer monitor CRT's used in a TV. The 2000 character designation was because it could display 25 lines of 80 characters.

That's the best you are likely to achieve dring a TV set (that's also why teletext never got any better resolution)

• 05-12-2008 10:48 AM In reply to

This was the stopper for Teletext?  I was unaware of this ... I assumed it was a legacy issue in that they had set the standard according to the amount of RAM the could put on board in the early days and had no way of working around it ...

... incidentally, one of the guys that worked on it in the early days came to have his TV fixed at my place a while back :o)

Neil

• 05-12-2008 11:09 AM In reply to

In which case I have a dilema.

I really like my B&O CRTs and will not get rid of them because for SD sources I think they are unparalleled. However, as I use the Beovision 1 as my main bedroom TV and the room is quite small I really do not want to squeeze in my 17" CRT monitor.

My Xbox 360 is obviously HD enabled and thus I am wondering whether I could/should do the following:

1. Buy a cheap generic branded LCD TV from Tesco or Amazon or Ebay as big as possible that I can mount on my wall and use the monitor input for my computer - I am starting a business that will make extensive use of a computer and thus this might have some use apart from being an executive toy. I can then use this for Hi-def gaming.

However, by buying a very cheap brand will I have visability issues. If so would I be best:

2. Buy[ing] a Pioneer plasma (old stock) for the same purpose. As Pioneer are no longer making Plasma would be able to get a cheap deal. However, one of my friends has said that for this application I could get burn-in due to static images.

• 05-12-2008 12:01 PM In reply to

It depends how good you need the picture to be!

An LCD TV will have much lower resolution than an equivalently-sized LCD computer monitor, This is why inch-for-inch they are still much more expensive.

24" widescreen PC monitors are now beoming affordable (under £400) and (I assume) you will be able to get an adaptor to play your Xbox 360 through one, it will deliver stunning quality on your PC and you can buy a USB DVB (Freeview) adaptor for your PC for about another £15 inclusing a bundled copy of Blaze DVD which does the job quite nicely if not as elegantly as a proper B&O TV.

Simon

• 05-12-2008 12:30 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

My son has a 22" Samsung (1680x1050) LCD TV with digital tuner which has HDMI and DVI inputs. He uses it as his PC monitor as well as his TV (it can do screen in screen if you wish). It was ~£250.

• 05-12-2008 12:49 PM In reply to

Beovision 8 26 makes a rather slendid monitor - I'm looking at one now, as it happens.

The excellent internal speakers work well with iplayer, youtube, mp3's etc, and because of the design, you get a very useful (free of charge) shelf for storing pens etc - unique, as far as I know.

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

• 05-12-2008 1:51 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'm a fan of the BeoCenter 6 personally - stunningly good picture and sound, and IMO the most beautiful designed set I've seen. My favourite BeoVision/Center from B&O, including discontinued models.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)