in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-09-2007 1:26 PM by Alex. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2007 4:37 PM

• SrPiri
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

New SubWoofer on my BeoSound 9000 setup

Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem and maybe someone out there might have an answer...  I have a Beosound 9000 with 2xBeolab 4000 and 2xBeolab 6000...  I have now received a Pioneer S-W90S Active Subwoofer as a gift... my problem is, I can't connect it successfully!!!

According to the subwoofer manual its single connection (is a line-level RCA connection...) has an Input Sensitivity/Impedance (100 Hz): 180 mV/50 kohms

I have tried the output fom the Powerlink but this only gives a loud noise...

Any ideas how to connect this subwoofer to my existing setup?  or should I just invest on a AV Receiver and setup all speakers as 5.1

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Sr. Piri

• 05-07-2007 3:27 AM In reply to

Re: New SubWoofer on my BeoSound 9000 setup

How did you take power from the Powerlink? I see no reason why this should not work. I would get your dealer to make up a cable and he should then take some responsibility for it working. You will need output from both channels feeding to the sub woofer of course. If you had a Beolab 2, the other speakers would then come from the sub woofer and the output would be filtered which improves the performance of the 4000/6000 as they would not have to deal with the lowest frequencies. Have a look at Beotech for some wiring diagrams if you decide to make the cable yourself.
    Filed under:
  • 05-09-2007 12:31 PM In reply to

• SrPiri
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter,

thanks for the tips.  I did try a dealer supplied cable and also one I had made myself... I have also confirmed the technical information... and yes it should work just by taking both channels from the PowerLink connection to the subwoofer.

The good news are that I got it to work... I had tried it at the end of the strings (I have 1 BL4000 and 1 BL6000 connected out of each single PowerLink output on the BS9000) and also tested it in between but it didn't work... so I then tried all BL4000/6000 on one PowerLink output and the Sub directly on the other free PowerLink output... and voila it, worked... I guess the voltage was too low for the sub to pick up the signal...anyway it works!!!!

The bad news... the sub has no pass through circuit so I cannot filter out the low frequencies from passing on to the BL4000/BL6000 as I might with the BL2... it also has only one Mono/single channel input so I can only take one left or right channel from the BS9000...also it has no signal auto sensing to turn it on or off so it is always on unless you switch it off manually...and last thing, it just doesn't sound perfect with my B&O system!   :o(     I have heard the BL2 and the BL5s and also my setup without the sub and it just doesn't have what I was looking for in a subwoofer...

Unfortunately this was a gift and it will break my heart to tell the person who gave this to me that it is not good enough! and probably will break their heart too...anyway, I must do what I must do very nicely and face reality... I can't have this Sub in the B&O setup... and I can't afford at this moment a BL2... so maybe an in between KEF or a Canton with Class D ampliffiers will do for now!?

in any case, thank you very much Peter for your time and the tips..!

Sr.Piri

• 05-09-2007 1:26 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

If you had a BeoVision with a DSS module, you'd be able to make use of the sub, and the B&O system would do all the filtering etc... for you I believe. You already have all the speakers Big Smile

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)