in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-09-2008 2:39 PM by burantek. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-09-2008 4:32 AM

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

"All jewels are not designed to be worn"...erm...what?

I've just received an email from B&O telling me that they've found a winner for their Beolab 9 slogan competition. With respect to the winner (and the setter of the competition) whose first languages are probably not English, it doesn't make sense.

I assume the winner was trying to say that the Beolab 9 is a jewel that can't be worn, unlike other jewels which can be worn.

Therefore, the slogan should be "Not all jewels are designed to be worn". "All jewels are not designed to be worn" suggests that no jewel, whether a loudspeaker or a diamond, was designed to be worn which is clearly nonsense.

Sorry. Being a pedant can be a real burden at times.

• 05-09-2008 5:24 AM In reply to

Re: "All jewels are not designed to be worn"...erm...what?

Some jewels are not designed to be worn -- is what they try to express. And then your suggestion: Not all jewels are designed to be worn, is right; while "all jewels are not designed to be worn" is fuddled.

Jewellers can also work with sound ... erh. It kind of shows up one of B&O's great weaknesses, they're so hung up on what their products look like, that they forget to talk about what they do.

• 05-09-2008 7:24 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

And with 0.7% of the total votes came..

An Audiophiles Wet Dream
    Written by Ms. Mary Pezdek | April 19, 2008

Nice...

Unsure

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-09-2008 7:51 AM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

My guess is it's an attempt to mimic the structure of "All that glitters is not gold," but I agree that it ends up sounding awkward -- "are not designed to be worn" is a more complex verbal phrase than "is not gold."
  • 05-09-2008 7:54 AM In reply to

9 LEE:

And with 0.7% of the total votes came..

An Audiophiles Wet Dream
    Written by Ms. Mary Pezdek | April 19, 2008

Nice...

Unsure

If she thinks a BL9 is : "An Audiophiles Wet Dream"

What would her quote be for the Penta ?..............................Whistle

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 05-09-2008 8:05 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

BeoLab 5 - The Audiophile just passed out wearing a gas mask and rubber underwear..

Now stop it - this is a family site! Surprise

Laughing

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-09-2008 8:13 AM In reply to

9 LEE:

BeoLab 5 - The Audiophile just passed out wearing a gas mask and rubber underwear..

Now stop it - this is a family site! Surprise

Laughing

"Wasteland" here we come !! loud and clear..........................Big Smile

good one Lee; but you're right it's a [B&O] family site..............Embarrassed

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 05-09-2008 8:18 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

PL212:
    My guess is it's an attempt to mimic the structure of "All that glitters is not gold," but I agree that it ends up sounding awkward ...

Not being a native english speaker, I have to admit that the quote made sense for me and sounded right because I know the "all that glitters is not gold" sentence. May be it is as a reference to that sentence that B&O chose the "all jewels..." sentence.

But still the "audiophiles wet dream" is my favorite LaughingLaughing

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-09-2008 8:49 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

But "All that glitters is not gold" makes sense because it's true. Tinsel glitters and it's not gold and therefore "All that glitters is not gold". It's not that the winning slogan is awkward - it's just plain wrong!
  • 05-09-2008 9:46 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

jonnyb:
    But "All that glitters is not gold" makes sense because it's true. Tinsel glitters and it's not gold and therefore "All that glitters is not gold". It's not that the winning slogan is awkward - it's just plain wrong!

Speaking of pedantry - the actual saying is :- "All that glisters isn't gold"Stick out tongue

It comes from one Shakespears many plays I believe.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-09-2008 9:50 AM In reply to

• Bebs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-08-2007
    • London & Denmark
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

No reference to 'crown jewels'  :hehe:
  • 05-09-2008 10:17 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I like this one too, especially the "P" in Beolab!!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-09-2008 11:09 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Medogsfat:

Shakespear's. Argh. I'm sorry. I can't help it.

• 05-09-2008 11:14 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

jonnyb:
    Medogsfat:

Shakespear's. Argh. I'm sorry. I can't help it.

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Serves me right.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-09-2008 11:16 AM In reply to

Gentlemen,

Respect for The Bard, please. His name is Shakespeare -- and therefore it should be Shakespeare's many plays.

Merchant of Venice.

All that glisters is not gold;
    Often have you heard that told:
    Many a man his life hath sold
    But my outside to behold:
    Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
    Had you been as wise as bold,
    Young in limbs, in judgement old
    Your answer had not been inscroll'd
    Fare you well, your suit is cold.

• 05-09-2008 11:24 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Well I just opened the email and it contradicts itself!!
    The opening caption says "Not all jewels are designed to be worn" and it gives the winner's name.
    Then a few lines down, it says "All jewels are not designed to be worn" and once again gives the winner's name.
    I guess they have either read this thread, but only corrected it once instead of twice, or, misquoted the poor winner so he comes across as having bad grammar, or made the whole thing up and put a ficticious name.
    Aren't we nit picky? Devil

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-09-2008 11:39 AM In reply to

Yes, noticed that - and wondered whether they'd managed to put in a fix after ambling over to this thread. Who knows?

Should have gone with this one:

Penguins on deck! Front and center!

Big Smile

• 05-09-2008 11:54 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:

Gentlemen,

Respect for The Bard, please. His name is Shakespeare -- and therefore it should be Shakespeare's many plays.

Ah. Except that Shakespere spelled his own name in a number of different ways. Shakespeare as the common spelling has just gained currency by sheer repetition. The Elizabethans (and Shaky himself) spelled it differently almost every time they wrote it down.

• 05-09-2008 11:56 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Yeah, me too!
    Something to do with Holsten Pils I believe.

Adny T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-09-2008 12:13 PM In reply to

jonnyb:
    soundproof:

Gentlemen,

Ah. Except that Shakespere spelled his own name in a number of different ways. Shakespeare as the common spelling has just gained currency by sheer repetition. The Elizabethans (and Shaky himself) spelled it differently almost every time they wrote it down.

You're unfortunate, I've studied this. Pour your favourite beverage, sit down and read. And I really do think we should follow the accepted spelling, when we wish to be pedants, if not, whither pedantry?

http://shakespeareauthorship.com/name1.html 

That said, Jefferson thought it a sign of a failed imagination if one only knew of one way to spell a word. 

From the link above: 

5. Conclusion

To sum up, none of the three major Oxfordian claims about Shakespeare's name holds up under scrutiny. There were not two separate names, "Shakspere" and "Shakespeare"; rather, they were the same name, with "Shakespeare" being by far the most common spelling both in non-literary references to the glover's son from Stratford and in literary references to Shakespeare as a poet and playwright.

• 05-09-2008 12:49 PM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Yeah, I googled exactly the same page. It says there were different spellings - that's not disputed. That article argues about whether or not the different spellings were used to refer to two 'incarnations' of the man - the Stratford man and the London playwright.

I wasn't saying Shakespeare is not the most common and accepted spelling, merely that there are other spellings, none of which are incorrect. So if Chris wants to say Shakespear he's not wrong, merely unconventional.

• 05-09-2008 1:44 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Is it Wednesday already?Erm

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-09-2008 1:47 PM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Further Googling found me this page which shows that Shakespeare himself appeared not to have ever spelled it 'Shakespeare'.

http://home.att.net/~tleary/sigs.htm

True, that horrendous scrawl is open to interpretation but rather than scupper my point it rather proves it - I think it says Shakespere, someone else think it says Shakespeare.

The point is that spelling wasn't standardised until much, much later. It was remarkable to be able to write at all, let alone agree on spelling. It's this lack of standardisation that lead to huge variations in name spelling. When my mother was researching our family tree years ago, the further back she got the more unpredictable the spelling became.

soundproof, you're right about what the agreed spelling is, but it's really quite an arbitrary choice.

• 05-09-2008 1:55 PM In reply to

hee...

great link...

my favorite excerpt: "The interpretation of the lettering is by"

makes one wonder how any of his works were ever accurately transcribed!

how many hands must have crossed his work to land with what we classify as "his work" today?

hmmm...
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 05-09-2008 2:16 PM In reply to

I don't know whether this would be a suitable topic for a Wednesday discussion, Andy! Big Smile 

What is pretty certain is that there weren't many Shakespeares proffering suggestions to B&O for the BL9 tagline. But it's quite funny to read through the ones that are there. I understand that the next competition is for the BL3.

What's that going to be, then? Not all balls are meant to be kicked?

@burantek

Well, it's not as bad as you think. The folios we base the transcriptions on are quite well known and there were a number of copies prepared in his time (they were, after all, performed plays.) And audiences would react to "improvisations" pretty much as will a child if you try to change the bedtime story ...

Another advantage with Shakespeare is that the manner in which he wrote doesn't really leave much opportunity for major changes. In order for the sentences to scan in cadence and rhythm, and for the rhymes (both inside and at the end of sentences) to combine, you end up with pretty fool(scap) proof original work.

Some variations - but amazingly few, given the large body of work. 

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >