in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-02-2008 9:15 AM by soundproof. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2008 8:53 AM

Laptops and active speakers.

Has anyone any comments on driving a pair of active speakers from the jackplug on a laptop?  It works but is the sound quality affected?
  • 05-02-2008 9:06 AM In reply to

• magnushj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Trondheim, Norway
    • Posts 139
    • Silver Member

Re: Laptops and active speakers.

Get an external usb soundcard. Theres too much noise inside a laptop computer to use the internal soundcard for hi-fi.
    Beocenter 9500+Beolab Penta mk2+Avant+MX7000+Beosound Ouverture+1xBeolab 6000 :)
  • 05-02-2008 9:12 AM In reply to

Thanks for that, I thought there might be.  Connectivity then becomes a problem I suppose?
  • 05-02-2008 9:15 AM In reply to

The quality of sound possible from B&O active speakers is such that it would be a shame to just run a minijack to speakers analog connection from you laptop to the speakers.

There are various soundcards and DACs you can use. (Digital-to-Analog Converters.) Or else you can connect your speakers to a stand-alone receiver which has in-built DACs.

Mac computers (most) have a combination analog/optical minijack out port - you can get an optical Toslink s/pdif signal straight out of them - this signal can then be converted by a DAC which your speakers are connected to. You don't want to control volume using the Mac, as you then engage the laptop soundcard, which is inferior. Most DACs have volume control.

Similarly, with most soundcards you can also control volume. They accept a range of different inputs, with some fitting in the cardport of your laptop, and others connecting through USB or Firewire. Look for cards that have output connectors compatible with those you'd use for the signal connection to your speakers.

I personally use a Grace m902 DAC, which feeds my BL3s with abandon, and provides excellent control of volume. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)