in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-24-2008 2:57 AM by Keith Saunders. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2008 4:47 AM

• OKF
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-22-2008
    • Posts 204
    • Bronze Member

main difference BEOPORT and BEOLINK PC2

Hi,

could somebody tell me?

Regards

Oliver

PS: how o get this tool running in the board that I get an email if answers come to a posting?

Best regards Oliver

• 04-20-2008 5:27 AM In reply to

Re: main difference BEOPORT and BEOLINK PC2

The difference is just software - you can make a Beolink PC2 the same as a Beoport if you want.

On the emails, click on your name where it appears in the top right hand corner - it will say Signed in as OKF 

Clicking on your name gives you a control panel. Click on the Email tab and you can change the option to receiving emails - you will switch it off pretty soon unless you like filling up your email box!  

• 04-20-2008 2:53 PM In reply to

Peter :

The difference is just software - you can make a Beolink PC2 the same as a Beoport if you want.

Sorry Peter, I have to disagree. The previous Beolink PC2 has an other printed circuit board. The OLD Beolink PC2 can't handle the latest firmware. 

To make things complicated the Beoport is branded Beolink PC2 on the black box.

I had a demo Beolink PC2 and couldn't update it to the latest firmware. Now I have a Beoport the latest firmware is no problem. 

• 04-20-2008 3:12 PM In reply to

I think it depends on the Beolink PC2 - mine is now the same as a Beoport - but it is a newer one so I am happy to defer to your greater knowledge.
  • 04-21-2008 1:08 PM In reply to

• OKF
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-22-2008
    • Posts 204
    • Bronze Member

Hi again,

well from which year on and also from which Serialnumber onwards will it be updateable? Those updates, do the have to be done by a dealer?

Best regards Oliver

• 04-23-2008 3:56 AM In reply to

• OKF
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-22-2008
    • Posts 204
    • Bronze Member

??

Best regards Oliver

• 04-23-2008 3:49 PM In reply to

Peter,

Coolskin is correct. If you had PC2 hardware box in the first year or so after release, then when you tried to update your system with Beoport software version 4.01 when it upgraded the firmware in the box, from then on, the PC2 box became useless. My unit was replaced by B&O under their "Fairness Plan" in November 2005 with the new version.

Regards Keith....

• 04-23-2008 4:01 PM In reply to

• OKF
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-22-2008
    • Posts 204
    • Bronze Member

it would be appreciated if somebody could answer my questions, Thanks

Best regards Oliver

• 04-23-2008 4:05 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi OKF
    You can download the new software from the Bang & Olufsen website. I think it works on all models.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-23-2008 4:11 PM In reply to

• OKF
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-22-2008
    • Posts 204
    • Bronze Member

my question from above is/was:

1. From which year on and also from which Serialnumber onwards will it be updateable?

2. Those updates (software+firmware), do the have to be done by a dealer?

Best regards Oliver

• 04-23-2008 5:06 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I thought I had answered both questions in my last post!
    Am I missing something?

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-23-2008 5:11 PM In reply to

• OKF
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-22-2008
    • Posts 204
    • Bronze Member

if you read especially the post by coolskin you may understand what I am after

Best regards Oliver

• 04-23-2008 5:16 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Please accept my humble apologies Oliver. Embarrassed
    Perhaps you could send a personal message to Coolskin and ask him.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-24-2008 2:57 AM In reply to

Oliver,

I cannot give you an exact date or serial number and nor can B&O because what happened was this:-

The PC2 hardware & software was introduced and it was a disaster and it took more than a year for the software to become approaching an acceptable product. Several new software versions came out, and during this period the hardware was seemlessly updated or so they thought, there was no statement to dealers saying there was an updated hardware box, it was just phased in with the "Type" number not changing and serial numbers not noted.

When software version 4.01 was released and during installation, the firmware of the PC2 was updated, however it failed for hundreds of users who did not have the updated hardware box, there was panic at B&O and there was hundreds of postings on the OLD Beoworld site about it. The reason for this panic was if you did the firmware update it made the PC2 box useless and you could not go back to the old version, it was effectively a "killer" piece of software. At that time any user who had this problem got their PC2 box replaced for free.

The name Beoport was a pure marketing change to bring it in line with other products, the product is 100% the same as PC2 (later version)

If you have a Beoport/PC2 hardware box and it needs a firmware update, then the installation software will do it automatically, no dealer involvement. If you purchased the product under the marketing name of Beoport, then you certainly have the latest version and if you can install and run any version including and after version 4.01 then you also have the latest hardware version.

The latest software version for Beoport is 4.80 recently released.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)