in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-22-2008 10:51 AM by TripEnglish. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-22-2008 4:18 AM

It's in the details ...

Yesterday I got my BeoLab 2000 connected to my BeoVision 8 and Beosystem 6500.

B&O has gotten quite a bit of stick from us lately, so I thought I'd share a really positive experience. The BeoLab 2000 is connected with ML, through a splitter, to the BeoVision 8. These are then connected through a converter box (1611) to the Beomaster.

I'm now controlling DTV (and the channels of the Set-Top-Box), CD, Phono, Radio, and A.MEM2 in the kitchen, with my Beo4. A.MEM2 is what I use for music sent to the Beomaster with an Airport Express.

I've been told that B&O engineers call it DisasterLink because it's such a challenge to ensure that the protocol can control old and new B&O, but I'm very, very grateful that they have gone to the bother. It's actually quite incredible to be able to control a Beosystem from the 80s, a BeoLab 2000 from the 90s and a BeoVision 8 from 2007 with the same commands and the same remote, and to have it all work so seamlessly.

And then there are the small details: the fact that I can listen to the television news in the kitchen, without the BV8's screen coming on in the study; the fact that I can split sources; that I can program functions with the timers.

In fact, the only thing missing for me to go all B&O is a two-way remote. I wish that I could either get the iPod Touch functionality into a B&O remote, or the B&O remote functionality into my iPod Touch. The iRed/irTrans guys I believe are rewriting their code now that Apple released the developers' kit for the iPhone/iPod Touch - and that would be one way to go.

But then B&O could also take that same developers' kit and create their own software giving people full B&O control of their hardware, while exploiting the possibilities of iTunes/Apple/Music servers (hint-hint). People who see my iPod Touch when it's lying on the BV8's handy shelf think it's a new remote from B&O, since that's what I use it for. (And if I could only also control the hardware!)

===

This got me thinking. What are the little details that keep you from being completely satisfied with your B&O experience?
    For me it's three things:

1. The two-way control described above.
    2. Having both optical and coax s/pdif IN on the audiomasters and televisions.
    3. The ability to configure the speaker set-up without a centre channel, creating a phantom centre using the front Left/Right speakers.

If they offered that, I would have bought a B&O surround processor/audiomaster, instead of the non-B&O workaround I'm using now.

Three little things. What are your three little things?

• 04-22-2008 7:02 AM In reply to

Re: It's in the details ...

1] Two-way control like in the old days, but for nowadays use..............

2] Voice activated remote control

3] Joris van Gelder's remote in our kitchen !

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 04-22-2008 10:51 AM In reply to

Re: It's in the details ...

1. Wood finishes

2. HDMI-CEC

3. Smell-O-Vision 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)