in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-19-2008 2:15 PM by Alex. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-19-2008 11:35 AM

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

ALT speaker angles

I'm making some adjustments to some BL3 speakers I have mounted on the wall.  Due to the configuration of the room the speakers are mounted a little high on the wall.  I'm finding that by utilizing the vertical adjustment mounting screws I can either have the BL3 angled a little below the listening area or a little above.  As ALT speakers appear to be designed for horizontal dispersion not vertical I'm not sure which adjustment would be best.

Is there a recomendation about how many degrees off vertical center the speaker can be adjusted without affecting it's ALT performance?

-Michael

• 04-19-2008 12:53 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: ALT speaker angles

This was discussed with Dave Moulton in King Street, Manchester, but I can't remember what he said.
    Between 5 and 15 degrees above seems to ring a bell but don't quote me on that.
    If you don't get a better response in a few days, I would send Dave a PM, I'm sure he won't mind.
    If anyone knows, it's Dave!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-19-2008 1:07 PM In reply to

We just ran through this question in orienting the BeoLab 10s in our showrooms. The AL has about a 15-20 degree vertical dispersion characteristic. I'm sure that it varies slightly from model to model, but the AL is not very different between the 3s and the 10. Hope this helps.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-19-2008 2:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I found the BL3s sound *slightly* better from above - on around a 5-10ยบ angle, so you're probably better pointing them very slightly below the listening spot.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)