in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-18-2008 9:45 PM by spthomas. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-16-2007 5:12 PM

• gripit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Apple Airport Express

Hi Guys,

I'm a new member and was wondering if somebody could explain to me in simple step by step way to connect an Apple Airport express to a Beosound 9000. I get confused when reading other posts because I am unfamiliar with names of wires and connections.  I have a windows machine with I-tunes and a wireless Lan card in the computer. 

Thanks

• 12-16-2007 5:40 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Apple Airport Express

This will help. iPods and AirPort Expresses all have what's called a 'minijack' connection, what you see on the end of earphone cables etc. The plug you see on the other end of the cable is what's called a '5-pin DIN' due to the number of pins you see inside the plug itself. This plugs into the connection on your BeoSound 9000 near where the power and all other connections go in. There are only three plugs which look vaguely appropriate, two called PowerLink (where speakers are sometimes connected), and the other which will take the signal from your AirPort Express, labelled AUX. Connect into this, and as long as the AirPort express is up and running (assuming you know how this works), all you have to do is press 'A.AUX' under the flap on your BeoSound 9000, and you should be up and running! Smile

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-16-2007 5:58 PM In reply to

• gripit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

I can get one of these cables and hook the Airport Express up to the stereo, no problem.  The next quesiton is how will the computer transmitt the music from its wireless LAN to the Airport Express?

Thanks

• 12-17-2007 2:42 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I have a BeoSound 4 with an Airport Express connected. It works great. iTunes shows 

• 12-17-2007 5:39 AM In reply to

gripit:

I can get one of these cables and hook the Airport Express up to the stereo, no problem.  The next quesiton is how will the computer transmitt the music from its wireless LAN to the Airport Express?

Thanks

The Airport will connect to your WLAN.

In the setup of the AE you will have to set that the AE shall serve as a music transmitter. On your computer you will have to run iTunes.

When the AE has been configured and logged into your WLAN, you will see it as a button in the iTunes interface (as you can see in the post above).

If you click the button, iTunes will stream the music to the AE and to your Beosound.

/Claes 

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 12-17-2007 5:51 AM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

My Beo5 show A.Aux under the apple logo. Smile

Luis

• 12-17-2007 6:22 AM In reply to

• Sigmund
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-20-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 46
    • Silver Member

I have a similar cofiguration, from the Airport Express to a Beosound Ouverture. It works fine, except for the sound quality. The Airport's digital/analog (D/A) converter obviously doesn't live up to B&O quality.

Fortunately, Airport Express realizes its weakness and offers digital output as well, through the same contact. You buy a separate D/A converter and connect it between the Airport Express and the Beosound.

For me a separate D/A converter is on my wish list. I investigated it some time ago and found that they have not reached the mainstream consumer marked yet. Consequently they are rather expensive so I dropped, no, postponed, the idea.

Does anyone have some recommendations for D/A converters?

Sigmund

• 12-17-2007 11:26 AM In reply to

What's your budget?

The LAVRY DAC10, Benchmark DAC1 USB and Grace 902b are all very good DACs, but you'll find headphone amp's and other DACs at half the price of these. The three go for about 800-1000 USD. 

• 12-17-2007 1:28 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

My MBP used to play Airtunes via Airport Express to Beosystem.
    However, after a software-update, the "external speakers" are no longer visible in iTunes.
    The Airport Express itself produces a humming noise on the Beosystem
    when the jack-plug is connected to the Airport Express.

Any ideas what might cause this ?

• 12-18-2007 4:45 AM In reply to

• Sigmund
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-20-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 46
    • Silver Member

soundproof:

What's your budget?

The LAVRY DAC10, Benchmark DAC1 USB and Grace 902b are all very good DACs, but you'll find headphone amp's and other DACs at half the price of these. The three go for about 800-1000 USD. 

Thanks for the recommendations.

Another idea, could it be possible to use BeoSystem 3 as a pure DAC? I'm dreaming about the new BeoVision 7-40 with BS3 incorporated and just imagined the possibility to save the money for a separate DAC as a nice side effect.

Sigmund 

• 12-18-2007 4:49 AM In reply to

• Sigmund
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-20-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 46
    • Silver Member

Ignace:

However, after a software-update, the "external speakers" are no longer visible in iTunes.

No idea, only that something is wrong. The D/A converter in my Airport Express leaves much to be desired, but at least there is no humming noise.

Sigmund 

• 12-18-2007 4:59 AM In reply to

Ignace:

Check your Preferences in iTunes, that you have set it to use Airtunes and that it discovers remote speakers.

Also check Applications>Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup -- that you have chosen the right output device and format.

• 12-19-2007 10:50 AM In reply to

Anyone with an airport express needs to check out salling clicker, it turns your phone into an itunes remote with the ability to browse your full libary it is amazing!

I have it on my N95 and it connects using my networked imac in my office upstairs and I can browse and play all of itunes.

• 12-19-2007 10:52 AM In reply to

leepie:

Anyone with an airport express needs to check out salling clicker, it turns your phone into an itunes remote with the ability to browse your full libary it is amazing!

I have it on my N95 and it connects using my networked imac in my office upstairs and I can browse and play all of itunes.

Yes, I've been using Salling Clicker for several years actually! Until the iPod Touch came along and I could put Remote Buddy on it ... the Clicker is a very good bit of software, though. Many of the same benefits as with the Touch.

• 12-19-2007 12:08 PM In reply to

I get (sporadic) drops in my laptop "seeing" my airport express - sometimes rebooting the express helps, sometimes not. However, if you check apple discussions you are not alone - these problem seems common post software update - hopefully a future update will rectify
  • 04-16-2008 4:46 AM In reply to

• Sigmund
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-20-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 46
    • Silver Member

soundproof:

What's your budget?

I just got a separate DAC and the improvement is amazing. While the Mac used to be suitable for background music only, it's now the best. Don't let the Airport Express' internal DAC ruin the sound; go and get a separate DAC!

(The DAC I bought is a stello DA100 from April Music, at 695 USD + 85 USD shipping from South Korea. Don't know how it compares to others.)

• 04-16-2008 5:01 AM In reply to

Good choice - that's a DAC that has been very well received.

I find that a DAC between my Macs and sound systems is necessary, compared to just running the analog line out from either the Mac or an Apple Express. The difference in sound quality is so obvious - more detail, less noise and an absence of "brittleness" results, the music simply sounds richer.

I have a DAC feeding my Beolab 5000 amp, from an Airport Express. And it's wonderful to be able to use a 41 years old unit together with this modern source, and getting the best of both worlds.

Here's a view inside the DAC that Sigmund's bought - it becomes clear why Apple can't fit all of that inside a computer (or an Airport Express).

• 04-16-2008 11:46 AM In reply to

B&O may be a little dismayed to find that more people are using A.AUX on their system to the exclusion of other choices except video.  I also use a DAC with Apple TV for music and now internet radio on Apple TV.  Internet radio never sounded so good.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 04-16-2008 8:49 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

linder:
    B&O may be a little dismayed to find that more people are using A.AUX on their system to the exclusion of other choices except video.  I also use a DAC with Apple TV for music and now internet radio on Apple TV.  Internet radio never sounded so good.

Actually, I think they're laughing all the way to the bank... at least on a small scale...  I just bought a new DIN to RCA AUX input cable from B&O, and it was 50 USD!!!  I should have shopped around, but, was focusing at the items with more digits in their cost... seems like the last one I bought a couple years back was ~20, and, at the time, I thought THAT was highway robbery.  I don't think this is a coincidence... 

Stan

• 04-16-2008 8:58 PM In reply to

That was robbery. They are not cheap as there are very few brands using these kind of connectors.

Next time please do look on ebay, there are quite a few dealer type sellers that offer them a bit cheaper.

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-17-2008 9:09 PM In reply to

Do these more expensive DACS take 24-bit inputs? My understanding is AE only puts out 16-bit signals but the digital output on the iMac computer itself can put out 24.
    Steve
  • 04-18-2008 1:37 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Correct, but there's no point in this IMO as CDs are 16 bit.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-18-2008 1:39 AM In reply to

The AE is limited to the Redbook standard of 16bit/44.1kHz. The stand-alone DACs usually handle up to 24-bit/192kHz, with some handling even greater wordlenghts and sample-rates.

Yet if you read this article, you'll find that a formal study of high-resolution vs. Redbook seems to have delivered a surprising result. Seems that CD-resolution is more than enough ...

http://mixonline.com/recording/mixing/audio_emperors_new_sampling/index.html

• 04-18-2008 3:33 AM In reply to

• Sigmund
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-20-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 46
    • Silver Member

soundproof:

The AE is limited to the Redbook standard of 16bit/44.1kHz.

Interesting. Do you have a reference for these specs? I have been searching, but Apple hides them well. Anyway, now I don't have to waste my time to experiment with more bits and higher sample rates.

Thanks for the article. Although the experiment hardly reveals the whole truth, it is lovely provocative.

• 04-18-2008 4:34 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Hi, maybe you can resolve my issue with my brand new 802.11n Airport Express :

When I listen to my iTunes Library, there is no problem at all, the sound is correct.

When I listen to internet radios via the macbook speakers, there is no problem...

But When I listen to internet radios via the Airport Express, I got a lot of sound "cuts". My internet connection is very good, and as radios works in iTunes that's not the problem. The wifi rate is also ok as there is no slow down when I download something while listening to music, and I set the airport to create a N only network, but the problems is the same with n + b/g compatibility. When I set the airport to connect to my wifi network (instead of creating a network), the problem is exactly the same.

Maybe it's the macbook encoding or a software issue? (but that's a core 2 duo black macbook with all the software up to date...)

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >