in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-12-2008 10:25 AM by Piaf. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-09-2008 3:23 AM

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Staccato fast forward/reverse in a Beogram 4000

What is the best lubricant for the Beogram 4000 series.

I was told that sewing machine oil was the best. Now silicone grease is mentioned s the best lubricant. So I am confused.

This evening while playing several records brilliantly I attempted to fast forward my Beogram 4000 and received, at best, a staccato advance.

The play is flawless as is the return to rest/ However the fast forward seems troubled.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

• 04-09-2008 5:24 PM In reply to

Re: Staccato fast forward/reverse in a Beogram 4000

It lists a number of different lubricants in the service manual. Very little in my experience is the best policy! I would go with sewing machine oil for most things!
  • 04-09-2008 11:03 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Peter,

Thank you for the advice, I feel much more confident having it come from you.

My Beogram 4000 initially operated very well indeed (once I repaired the damage from shipping) with the fast forward and fast reverse. However, in spite of the previous owner’s $350 repair bill, I noted when it arrived that there was absolutely NO lubrication.

In the beginning I had bigger problems with a broken internal parts to deal with. Once up and running, everything worked well, so I didn’t address the lubrication issue.

I now have two new belts from Martin to install and I will lube everything that needs it when I install he new belts.

Thanks, as always for the excellent advice.

Jeff

• 04-11-2008 1:15 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

I just installed new belts acquired from Martin, and what a difference it made. I press start and the platter moves immediately to the correct speed. Thank you Martin!

I also lubricated all moving parts as per Peter’s advice with sewing machine oil.

However my staccato fast forward and reverse persists.

I took the control plate off and pressing the copper contacts has the arm moving right and left as desired. However when I replace the control panel the fast forward and reverse are more glacial than anything else. SLOW!

What are your thoughts?

Jeff

• 04-11-2008 2:33 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

If I remember correctly, there are two speeds of << and >> depending on how hard you press the button.

Maybe the plate doesn't allow for activating of the high speed, has the buttons sunk a bit ?

Or the contacts have oxidated.

Martin

• 04-11-2008 8:49 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Martin,

Yes there are two speeds depending how hard you press the forward or reverse “buttons.” This is one of the features that I find so special on the Beogram 4000. (The later series have two separate buttons to achieve the same thing.)

Nothing appeares to be amiss in regard to the position of the buttons or corrosion.

The “good” news is that this function works perfectly well with the plate off.

Jeff

• 04-12-2008 8:38 AM In reply to

"so special on the Beogram 4000. (The later series have two separate buttons to achieve the same thing.)"

8000/8002 are special also! They have the same feature. phil

• 04-12-2008 10:25 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Phil,

You are quite right. I stand corrected. I really should have said the Beogram 4002 and 4004 have two buttons to achieve the same thing.

Now if only I can figure out what is wrong with my "special" Beogram 4000 and this feature I admire so much.

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)