in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-13-2008 10:18 AM by Ben. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-12-2008 8:15 AM

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

CD50 Test CD

Here's a strange question......

Would the Philips/Studer Test CD 5A be suitable for setting up my CD50 instead of the Sony YEDS5 cd?

Cheers,

Ben

• 04-13-2008 7:56 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: CD50 Test CD

I am not familiar with the one you mention, but I think it will work.
    It's just a matter of finding out which tracks to play to get to the same functions.

Often the test CD's come in sets of two.
    One is ABSOLUTELY faultless (no standard CD's ever are), leaving the error-correction circuits job-less. This one is what you need to adjust the player.
    The other one has built-in faults, simulating fingerprints, smudges, scratches etc., escalating in degree as it plays to see how well things work. You can actually see the faults in the CD surface.
    Most are made so that no CD player will play all the way through without audible - or tracking faults. This one is for final test of the result and can't be used for adjusting, only to check how good the player reads and corrects faults.

I'm sure that the one, you mention called 5A is half of a pair, the other one being 5B.

You can buy test CD's with phase, left/right etc. cheaply but they really are no good for adjusting the player. You need a pro. test CD's with absolutely no faults and it would be nice to also have one with the above mentioned factory-made faults. They are usually quite expensive because of the way they are made and the fairly limited numbers. I think mine were in the 300 £ range for a set.

Martin

• 04-13-2008 10:00 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

Yes, I think it was part of a set of two... From what i've found out so far Test CD 5 is the defect CD, and 5A is the one with no defects.

I just needed some confirmation... I'm waiting back for replies from another forum.

Thanks,

Ben.

• 04-13-2008 10:18 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

Ok.... Well Test Sample 3 is the 'Philips disc without defects' as described in the CD50 service manual... Both 5 and 5A are the defect discs, with 5A being the newer version.

I have ordered both 3 and 5A, so this should have me covered. Price was pretty good too.

Ben

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)