in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-15-2008 5:27 PM by fraser. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-14-2008 6:50 PM

• fraser
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-20-2008
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Beovox S80 modification?

Hello! I've had a pair of Beovox S80 speakers for a while now but i keep hearing stories about the rotting woofer problem they seem to have.  I'm wondering if mine suffer from this but i can't tell and i've got no idea about their history... I've included some pics to help diagnose.

Foam rot aside is there anything else that might need repairing on the speakers?  Is it possible to upgrade any of the components?  I really like B&W speakers too and was considering just using the cabinets and sticking in a whole new set of drivers if they can fit- any views on this?  

• 04-15-2008 2:40 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beovox S80 modification?

Welcome to Beoworld !

The woofers in your Beovox S80 are not original (and they don't have foam rot).

It's safe to say that all original S80 woofers suffer from foam rot now if not repaired. Many owners are not aware that a repair is possible and buy new replacement woofers. Sadly, too often the original woofers are thrown away and the replacement woofers are of an inferior quality since the original specifications are practically impossible to match.

An upgrade for your Beovox S80 would be a pair of original refoam'ed woofers and a fresh set of new capacitors for the crossovers and no doubt, you will find the speakers sound much better.

The original drivers were designed for this cabinet, if any change in specs would have improved anything it would already have been done. Generally, in B&O speakers, the original drivers are superb and the best choice for the given cabinets.

I would imagine the same goes for B&W.

Martin

• 04-15-2008 6:01 AM In reply to

• fraser
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-20-2008
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Dillen!   Is it possible to buy a new set of woofers and capacitors online? There is a B&O store in town but i'm not sure if they deal with repairs and servicing... I'm definitely not up for the job, i can use a hammer and that's about it! Wink
  • 04-15-2008 7:41 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Where are you located ?

I can supply a capacitor kit but basic soldering skills and tools are required to replace them. I also have a pair of original used but refoam'ed woofers.

Martin

• 04-15-2008 8:11 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Sorry for hijacking this thread fraser,

do you have a cap kit for some MC120.2's (I think the spec's are the same as the S120's) Martin? I have a set which I will be refoaming shortly and thought I may as well give the crossovers an overhaul while I'm in there.

@ Frazer - I would personally take Martin up on his offer of the refoamed original drivers, there is nothing worse than not having your vintage equipment as original. It would always be there nagging away at me.

Cheers.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-15-2008 8:19 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Hi Chris,

Yes, capacitor kits are available for the Beovox MC120.2

PM me for details. 

Martin

• 04-15-2008 5:27 PM In reply to

• fraser
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-20-2008
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

I live in Aberdeen, Scotland.  I'd definitely be interested in buying a capacitor kit and woofers from you if they're for sale!  I'm sure i can find somewhere round here that can do the work for me.. Thanks for your help martin
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)