in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-13-2008 7:55 AM by tournedos. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-11-2008 2:26 PM

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Info wanted

I have come into possession of a pair of rather tatty Beovox 2200 speakers (they were part of a link system based around a Beocenter 7700) but don't know anything about them. There is very little info in the products section. Can anyone enlighten me as to what would be the best use for them and if they are worth keeping and putting some work into.

Cheers.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-11-2008 2:37 PM In reply to

Re: Info wanted

I've got a pair of them, and I absolutely love their sound for not so "heavy" concert music (like string quartets and such). They obviously won't have gut-wrenching bass...

They can be also pretty hard to place, since the cone tweeters are incredibly directional. I had them at the office for a while, and a cow-orker of mine, who doesn't care that much for music nor audio equipment, commented how the sound altered completely when he walked past the sweet spot! Hard to have two people in it at the same time...

-mika

• 04-11-2008 3:40 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Thanks Mika, my first thoughts were to hook them up as monitor speakers for my PC so they sound like they would do that job.

My initial idea would be to wall mount them fairly high, so would you recommend I point them slightly inwards & downwards towards my seating position? Please bear in mind that my computer desk is facing the wall in question and quite close. Oh and the room is very small so I don't need anything particularly powerful. What do you think, would that be a good use of them as I hate the idea of vintage stuff sitting around being unused?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-11-2008 4:09 PM In reply to

Well, computer monitors are just for what I'm using them at the moment (with the 70s Beomaster 2000 as an amp and occasional source of radio programming) and that's what they were in the office as well. If you install them high, I'd definitely tilt them downward, as they actually need to be aimed at your head Smile Having them close to the wall might benefit the bass.

One more thing, they have a pretty strong magnetic field. If you still happen to have a CRT monitor, keep them far apart! I noticed this when they discoloured my TV set temporarily from almost two feet away...

-mika

• 04-12-2008 4:41 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

tournedos:

(with the 70s Beomaster 2000 as an amp and occasional source of radio programming)

Just like the one have sat on my Dining Table right now.HmmLaughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-12-2008 1:30 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Thanks Mika, when you mentioned "office" I had a feeling you had used them with your PC. Thanks for the input on this and if I go this way I will ensure they are well away from anything they may affect.

Is there anything that may need attention before I go any further (foam rot etc..)? I haven't had a chance to try them out yet and I have a few other projects boiling along before I get near these.

Chris.

• 04-13-2008 7:55 AM In reply to

Well, I actually have a Beocenter 2800 at the office and I occasionally use it to blast some Jimi Hendrix off vinyl when things get too flegmatic Laughing The PC is connected to the tape input, though.

I thing the woofer surrounds were rubber, at least mine were just fine when I looked under the frets after hauling the pair home. I don't think there's much to do soundwise; perhaps the crossover might benefit from new/better caps (I'd be surprised if it has more than one cap and one coil), but I suppose getting to it is more trouble than the improvement would be worth. I don't think the box opens anywhere, you'd have to remove at least the woofer.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)