in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-10-2008 1:23 PM by auric. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-08-2008 11:26 PM

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Beogram 4000 chopped electrial & DIN cables

I admit going into this question that I am something of a perfectionist, however I have managed to bring my Beogram 4000 up to a level that having a chopped electrical cord and DIN cable really bothers me.

The Beogram 4000 was originally sold in Berlin, Germany and as such had a 220v electrical plug as will as the expected DIN cable. However when the owner moved to the United States he cut off both plug and DIN connection in favor of a US 110v plug and RCA connectors.

I just found a parts Beogram 4002 for sale on eBay here in Canada currently at $10. I could use its proper US spec 110v cord/plug as well as the DIN cord/connection to bring my 4000 back to factory conditions.

However, I am wondering is there a more efficient way to go about this?

The truth is this Beogram 4000 is so extraordinarily beautiful that it bothers me that it has black electrical tape holding on a cheap US electrical plug and RCA connectors.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

• 04-09-2008 3:25 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 4000 chopped electrial & DIN cables

Piaf:

The truth is this Beogram 4000 is so extraordinarily beautiful that it bothers me that it has black electrical tape holding on a cheap US electrical plug and RCA connectors.

As to the power cord, I'd just get a modern cord with a molded plug, which should be available in any electronics or hardware store. Even the "correct" old cords may have become brittle with time, and any electrical tape fixings can become outright dangerous. Imagine the tape losing its grip with time, exposing a live wire, and someone vacuuming behind the shelf while possibly even leaning on the heating radiator. Even the original power plugs, which often were very hard plastic and held together with screws, can be dubious at best.

(and after all this, guess how I have my originally UK Beogram 6000 rigged up at the moment?)

The DIN cable is a little bit more difficult, since it has to have shielded audio connections and not just some mock-up which happens to have the right pins connected. It's also difficult to construct properly yourself as the connector has so little room inside and the cable can't be too thick. If you can get the donor deck for $10, I'd take it; I'm sure you can sell or use many other parts of it too.

-mika

• 04-09-2008 8:21 PM In reply to

Jeff:

ust get a molded cord from Radio Shack or your local electronic supplier and replace the entire cord as Mika suggests.

As for the din connector, you can readily buy DIN connectors from electronic suppliers that you can install onto the shielded cable.

Mouser comes to mind. And yes you can get them in grey too.

Why gut a perfectly fine 4002 turntable for just the cords? Why not get it running too???

Derek 

• 04-09-2008 10:57 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Derek,

The 4002 in question is pretty far gone.

My current set up is using the Beogram 4000 and 4004 with my McIntosh 2205 which requires RCA plugs. So what I have works, it is just ugly and poorly executed.

My thought was to replace the entire cable with a proper grey DIN connector and use an adaptor that just plugs in.

As for the electrical cord, the same thing. It works well enough, but I’d like this nice Beogram to have a proper cord/plug.

Jeff

• 04-10-2008 1:49 AM In reply to

My 4000 actually has a modified fully wired Powerlink cable!
  • 04-10-2008 1:23 PM In reply to

Jeff:

So chop off the RCA connector and put on a din male. You can still use the adaptor to go back to RCA. I just don't understand why you need to replace the whole cord. The original B&O din connector was soldered on as well. You'd get the same effect less an inch :).

All I am saying is you don't need to resort to replacing the entire cord. You can achieve the same restoration from off the shelf components and it would be easier.

The power cord you would need to replace to get the same look with the molded plug.

BTW... if you do end up gutting that 4002, I'd be interested in the wood trim. I'm restoring one right now that requires it :).

Derek

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)