in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-11-2008 7:39 PM by Peter Jacobs. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-06-2008 10:51 AM

BeoLab 5 reset?

I have BeoLab 5 speakers, and have figured out most of their operating modes.

Here's a question, though, I'd like to be able to reset them to factory neutral. Here's why: after calibrating them, moving them around, recalibrating, etc. - it would have been nice to be able to compare with a neutral setting.

The only reset option I find in the manual is that one should disconnect the speakers from the mains for 3-5 minutes, and then reconnect them, in case they have gone into protective mode.

But that doesn't change the calibration or any other settings as far as I can tell.

Anyone know? Is there a way of resetting the speakers to a default calibration?

• 08-06-2008 11:14 AM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 5 reset?

Hi soundproof,

There is nothing mentioned in the service manual about a reset option. But i am sure it can be done with the PC service tool.

At least one can update the main SW and i gues that is as good as factory default.

Your local dealer should have the service tool.

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 08-06-2008 12:09 PM In reply to

Yes. Don't know whether the dealer feels like spending his evenings here, though, as I experiment!

Would have been nice to have a pre- and post-calibration feature.

• 08-06-2008 12:30 PM In reply to

Unfortunately, I've forgotten the command sequence, because I never needed it for anything.  

Back when BL5s first came out, I thought it would be really interesting, but in fact it's just a calibration for an arbitrary position in one of the listening rooms at the factory, and of no particular utility.  All you can learn from it is the degree of difference of LF power response between your room/position and B&O's room/position.  That difference means nothing unless you are in a really extreme situation.  That setting is NOT a meaningful reference. 

Best,
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 08-06-2008 12:38 PM In reply to

Yes, it's not a dealbreaker for me. Thanks to both of you!

• 08-11-2008 4:00 AM In reply to

HI My dealer recently came home to do a survey for a Beoliving installation. He decided (really nice chap - James Pyne from B&O Camberwell) to help me better position my lab 5s and balance the whole system (speaker distances to viewing area etc.

He then did a hard reset. To do this you press the field sensor on top as per usuall callibration AND KEEP IT PRESSED FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS until you hear a little pop and then teh speaker goes into its calibration sequence as normal. Apparently this is what is known as a hard reset.

I have tried this a number of tmes since then. By the way please note that you do this at yor own risk. I am not an expert on this and I trust my dealer.

• 08-11-2008 2:23 PM In reply to

What is the reason for a hard reset?

• 08-11-2008 7:39 PM In reply to

Not really sure Konig. I did ask and it seems that sometimes it is jut good to get back to the factory default settings (Calibration I think). A little bit like defagging a hard disk and re-booting to get back to a standard reference point.

I will ask later this week and post back a response.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)