in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-03-2008 4:08 PM by graffart. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2008 7:59 AM

fully refurbished beovox Penta

Dear All,

I have just bought second beovox pentas and have been in contact with the grand son of the OLufsen founder in Luxembourg who has now a shop in Bereldange

I realy like the style of the speakers so have decided to refurbish them like new - all the steel panels are new and i have reordered the 9 drivers for both speakers - drivers will be today's specs according to him and not as the original which is much better

The question is do i need to change the two cross over circuits of the speakers to have the best sound ? the b&O guy told me that b&O engeneers said if the sound is fine and works well it is not better to change them and just blow them to clean them.

At the moment the sound is pretty good despite that the driver speakers are damaged on the mid range so i imagine it will be much better with all speakers replaced - also the guy told me that people who replace the foam rings on the drivers are nuts as it will not improve the sound quality as the speakers will lose their elasticity and responsiveness with time. also the membrans will be still used.

Does anyone has any experience replacing the crossover circuits on belolab/beovox penta and what has been the results???

Also how to unmount the cross over circuit out of the speakers as we can not open them ?

Thanks very much for your advise and help

HAppy new year 2008

Philippe

• 01-03-2008 11:20 AM In reply to

Re: fully refurbished beovox Penta

Look here...

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/43004.aspx

There is even no need even to clean the crossovers... 20 years old and still clean ;) But the crossovers can be improved.

The tweeter and bass drivers need no replacement, that's only necessary when damaged by overload or children. This is a bad waste of money.

A repair of the midrange drivers is possible and the sound does not get worse, it works. Ok, if you can get the real original ones, that's better and easier of course.

If it is not original, then i would take the repaired one. There are a lot of faked drivers sometimes at EBAY (especially for MX tv sets...) they are 90% junk.

Martin

• 01-03-2008 4:08 PM In reply to

Re: fully refurbished beovox Penta

Thanks very much but my german is not as good as my dutch , portuguese or english ;-)

They seems to talk about the beolab version right ? the pisture is the one from the base amp?

For the BASS drivers and others they are all ordered directly from b&o in b&O Luxembourg shop who the ownwer is Mr OLUFSEN grandson himself - check on the web

one of the BASS DRIVER WAS damaged in the center like it was punched ...

Mr Olufsen recommanded if i replace one to replace them all as the sound will be much different with latest new drivers from B&O - I guess they will be from the MK3 Latest series produced

The MID drivers cant be repaired according to b&O engeneers and replacing them is the best option - the tweeter is my mistake because they advised not to replace them - it is not too expensive though

Bass drivers are 28 euros each , Mid are 33 euros each and tweeter the same - i have sold my ugly triangle that costed much more so even with the refurbishing i save money ;-) - it will make it 1200 euros fully refurbished like new which is cheap for a top of the range designer speaker like B&O - look really matter for me

Thanks very much for your advise on the crossover can you tell me how to improve it , what is the benefit and how to reach the crossover , shall i open the base of the speakers

I am using the latest Onkyo 875 e to drive them they are roughly 140 watts per channel - do you think thet they will sound better if i buy the ICEpower amp that you can buy online like the ASP1000 OR 500 and it will sound much better ?

i will resell the undammaged BASS and Mid drivers on ebay cheaper for those who need them so i can get some cash back

I look forward to reading your comments

Cheers   

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)