in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-13-2007 6:45 PM by Puncher. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-13-2007 8:07 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Some bed time reading for those interested! :)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-13-2007 8:29 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Some bed time reading for those interested! :)

Excellent!

It also explains how i can 'filter' out my wifes nagging from everyday surrounding noises.  Honestly, i just see her lips move and hear birds tweeting, cars driving past, the kids talking etc... LaughingLaughing

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 08-13-2007 2:33 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

That really is an interesting article.  I'm always amazed by how far people will go to solve a single question, in the name of science!

The question that came to me as I read it was: I wonder how diverse their panel of test subjects was?  For example, the comparison of two groups of people in regards to "sound annoyance levels" was fascinating. People who are exposed to "annoying" sounds every day seem to have a higher threshold for sound annoyance than the people who aren't. This makes me wonder how much sound perception really relies on upbringing, exposure to certain elements, and daily habits.  So having a test group of people with a wide set of lifestyles, cultures, ages, and so on, would produce a more rounded view of how "humans perceive sound" in general, than a more homogenous group of people.

I liked the plug for B&O's speakers!  

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 08-13-2007 6:45 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

joynsyde:

That really is an interesting article.  I'm always amazed by how far people will go to solve a single question, in the name of science!

The question that came to me as I read it was: I wonder how diverse their panel of test subjects was?  For example, the comparison of two groups of people in regards to "sound annoyance levels" was fascinating. People who are exposed to "annoying" sounds every day seem to have a higher threshold for sound annoyance than the people who aren't. This makes me wonder how much sound perception really relies on upbringing, exposure to certain elements, and daily habits.  So having a test group of people with a wide set of lifestyles, cultures, ages, and so on, would produce a more rounded view of how "humans perceive sound" in general, than a more homogenous group of people.

I liked the plug for B&O's speakers!  

Agree!

Its nice to read stuff that agrees with your "world view" but you have to be careful - it doesn't necessarily make it true! Generally believeable but B&O were represented on the panel! - therefore don't get overly carried away with any conclusions.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)