in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-29-2011 3:57 AM by darrenh. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-27-2011 4:45 PM

SP 6-7 Needle trouble…

Hi Beoworld - i've recently had to change my needle on an SP6-7 cartridge, however the replacement styli I purchased, although looks correct and is the one I was directed to buy, doesn't seem to be correct unless I've done something wrong in the fitting. The styli doesn't seem to protrude out of the cartridge far enough out of the cartridge to touch the vinyl, meaning that the back end of the cartridge itself scrapes the vinyl when playing, as the needle is only just touching the vinyl. Is there something I've done wrong in the fitting - it's as if I need to bend (which i 'm not going to!) the needle out of the cartridge to make it protrude enough to touch the vinyl…

Maybe I've purchased a duff, or incorrect styli… is there anywhere anyone recommends to buy a replacement?

Thanks

Darren

• 03-27-2011 5:45 PM In reply to

Re: SP 6-7 Needle trouble…

Sounds like the suspension is kaput. Axel seems to be able to sort these and has them on offer!

• 03-28-2011 4:26 AM In reply to

Thanks for the reply Peter, much appreciated as I'm starting to struggle without my vinyl!

By Suspension, I presume this is the metal cap that slides off the cartridge (sorry, I'm new to all of this). On further analysis, should this cap slide all the way back to the metal rim of the cartridge when it's placed back on and secured with the screw as there seems to be a slight gap between the back edge of the metal cap and the back rim of the cartridge… Without the needle in place it does slide all the way back, but with the needle in it does not which is why I wonder if the plastic piece at the end of the needle is too big?? 

I'm just confused as the previous needle I had no problem like this, but it appeared to be a much straighter needle whereas the new needle has a bend at the end where the diamond is which again seems to be a contributing factor to the diamond not touching the vinyl… I might try to upload a couple of pictures if I can to help explain.

Thanks again for your help!

Darren

• 03-28-2011 1:53 PM In reply to

The suspension is a small rubber block that allows the stylus to move in relation to the coils. I wonder if the stylus has become loose and is no longer sitting properly at the bottom of the cap.

• 03-28-2011 5:23 PM In reply to

Ah… okay - i'll take a look. I've managed to take a few pictures to see if that can shed anymore light… it really looks like the needle is either too short or there's something wrong with the plastic piece at the bottom f the styli that is stopping it short… but everything I can see looks good, no blocks or bent metal etc… The last photo shows the needle 'just' poking out of the black end of the cartridge. Thank you again for the help Peter, I'm just desperate to get back to listening to my records and thought this would be a simple job to change the needle!

• 03-28-2011 5:36 PM In reply to

The plastic part is not supposed to come out of the cap. The original SP1/2 allowed this but the later 6/7 has the stylus essentially fixed in the top of the cap. I think you need a new one!

• 03-29-2011 3:57 AM In reply to

Hmm… that doesn't sound good then… all the replacement stylus I've seen for the SP6-7 have the plastic part attached to the stylus.

As did the old stylus when I took the metal cover off. So the stylus I bought had the plastic piece attached… 

https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acatalog/Bang_and_Olufsen_stylus.html

So essentially this is the wrong needle? Have you any idea what I need to do / buy to solve this. The company I bought the stylus from say I can return it so that's okay. Am I now looking at a whole new cartridge? I have it set up on a Beogram 1202.

Sorry for the hassle and thank you for your time

Darren

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)