in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-18-2009 3:46 PM by Marshymarsh10. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-16-2009 2:27 PM

Beosystem 2500 - It's Alive ! Please, Please Help Me !

Hi,

My first post although I have been using the site for information and it's great !

Anyway, if someone can help me with the following I would be eternally grateful !

I have a Beosystem 2500 and Penta 3 speakers. It's my pride and joy but lately has developed so many Gremlins I don't know where to start. I must say that some days it works a dream but the majority of the time the following occurs: -

1. The doors slide open and shut at will, depending on the mood of the system. This sometimes turns the unit off, sometimes not !

2. The Penta's sometime show their display, sometimes not, sound can be heard when either is happening.

3. When working the best there is no LED showing on the black display panel under the CD unit. It is temperamental when the red light is showing and worse when the green light is illuminated.

4. The unit turns off at will.

5. I run my Apple Mac through the system and this has negated the need for the CD, Tape and Tuner. Sometimes unplugging the cable from my Mac or changing a track can kick the unit back into life.

Basically I need some advice on how best to resolve these issues. I had the entire system refurbished in 2003, including the speakers and it nearly broke the bank. I had to pay £50.00 just for a quote and collection. I have found a repair centre in Chipstead and intend to ring them regarding fixing the system. However, it would be great to have some idea of the underlying issues beforehand.

Thank you

Marshymarsh10

• 08-16-2009 4:42 PM In reply to

Re: Beosystem 2500 - It's Alive ! Please, Please Help Me !

I'm not giving you any help here, but maybe a bit of consolation, since my parents have the exact same B&O setup as you, and they have problem number 1 and 2 as well.

Once I unplugged the units from the mains for several months, (my parents seldom uses these) and that helped. But they will start to act up after 6 months or so again. But I realized that unplugging them for several months wasn't needed, but a few days helped... I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but it helped in their case.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 08-17-2009 4:16 AM In reply to

Many thanks, it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one and yes, I have noticed improvements when not using the system for a while.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

• 08-17-2009 5:13 AM In reply to

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you will find the information you need to drive away the gremlins here Stick out tongue:

Alternative Approach

Simon

• 08-17-2009 7:38 AM In reply to

Doors of hte 2500 opening randomly can happen when you have a Plasma in the same room. It might interfer with the door's IR receiver.

BC2500 turning on/of sporadically: Maybe one or more timers are programmed for the BC2500? Can only be checked/changed/deleted with a Beolink 5000.

Ralf

• 08-17-2009 1:11 PM In reply to

• Neil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • UK
    • Posts 34
    • Gold Member

My Beosystem 2500 switches itself on and activates the cassette mechanism. The fault is intermittent but very annoying, often happening during the night. My local dealer informed me that they hadn't a "cat in hells chance" of finding the fault, so I resort to switching off the mains to the unit when not required.

Neil. 

• 08-17-2009 3:12 PM In reply to

I always wondered why my 2500 turned on when I turned on my LCD TV. It seems these systems certainly have a mind of their own. Ever seen the the film AI (Artificial Intelligence) !!

Neil, could it not be that your system is timed to come on as in Ralfja's post.

Even today my system turned on, played music fine through my Mac but wouldn't allow me to change volume or even turn the system off, the remote was totally redundant and I had no display on the Pentas. Turned it off at the mains, turned it on again and it didn't work. I'm going to ring the repair centre tomorrow. Hope they do better than telling me I have a cat in hells chance !

• 08-18-2009 12:41 PM In reply to

• Neil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • UK
    • Posts 34
    • Gold Member

Marshymarsh

I don't think it is a timer problem with my machine as the fault appears entirely at random. To be fair to my dealer, I think he was trying to say that it would not be cost effective to spend a great deal of time trying to find an intermittent fault, with no guarantee of success, given the age of the unit and the high cost of B&O labour charges. I went to him thinking it might be a known problem, but he said no it wasn't. As I use the Beosytem as a standalone unit, I don't find it a problem to switch it off and on at the mains. 

Anyway, good luck with your Beosystem.

Neil.    

• 08-18-2009 3:46 PM In reply to

Thanks Neil. I turned the system off last night and it worked a dream today.

I'll let you know what the outcome of the discussions with the repair centre.

Marshymarsh10

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)