in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-07-2009 4:02 PM by Michael. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-05-2009 8:08 PM

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

BL9 as PA

I know it's been discussed that the BL5 does a great job as a loudspeaker in large rooms and has pulled it's weight in concert halls.

My question is how does the BL9 hold up in this capacity?  My dealer has offered a good deal on a pair of BL9s and I just happen to have an upcoming need to set up a high quality viewings of a new film we've finished in various environments and event facilities.  I know it's a little eccentric but I just dropped $8,000 on quality sound design for the film/music mix,if I have drop a little more to make sure that it doesn't sound like crap in these private viewings that's fine by me... Especially if I get to take it back to the studio with me when we are done with all this.

-Michael

• 07-06-2009 5:12 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: BL9 as PA

How large is the room/audience you're wanting to present the film to, and how loud do you want it?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-06-2009 8:59 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Alex:

How large is the room/audience you're wanting to present the film to, and how loud do you want it?

Audience ranging from around 10 up to almost 100.  The room could get as big as about 12 x 12 meters and be as small as a good size board room.

I'd like to consider the BL5, but transportation might be tricky and I think the BL9 could be quite compact in a good shipping case with a well thought out custom interior (lay oppositely side by side).

Not alot of sound effects or explosions,  just has alot of dramatic music (think Hans Zimmer from Gladiator).

-Michael

• 07-07-2009 6:50 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I wouldn't really want to use them in rooms of that size. Your best bet IMO is to rent out a PA system. Look for d&b audiotechnik (not to be confused with dB technologies!) if you really want something which will knock your socks off.

E12s + D6 amps should give you everything you need, and weigh a LOT less than BeoLab 9s in a package slightly smaller. They won't quite sound as good (obviously) but they're still a great sounding speaker, and very, very loud when you need them to be.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-07-2009 4:02 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Yeah Alex, you're probably right.  Although my dealer was looking into some pretty neat shipping cases that B&O uses to ship around BL5's for demonstrations in hotels and such.  Sounds pretty cool. 

-Michael

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)