in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-30-2009 6:05 AM by tootie. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2009 5:30 PM

Hello Beoworld!

About 4 or 5 months ago, I bought a pair of BeoLab Penta Mk3's on a whim for $400. The aluminum is a little beat up and the midrange foam was trashed. At first I wasnt so sure if they would be any good. I was told B&O is a designer speaker company that isnt for audiophiles. But I saw the list price of $3-4k and that it was the flagship model at one point. I brought them home, hooked 'em up to my Yamaha receiver and listened. My initial impression was good bass and highs but midrange was muddy and distorted. I knew the mids had to be refoamed, so I orderd up the kit and did the job. The refoam made a HUGE difference. My first thought was "wow, this is high-end sound". The bass was smooth and the impact from drums was very realistic. The midrange is thin and delicate yet detailed sounding, and the voicing is a little on the warm side. The highs are very well balanced like the bass. Not harsh at all, pretty accurate. A little roll off at the very top end, but still very sweet and smooth sounding. The imaging and soundstage are fantastic and helps with picking out individual instruments. The power response is crazy. You can sit anywhere in the room and the sound wont change very much at all. 

Anyways, these arent the most accurate speakers Ive heard. But they are extremely enjoyable to listen to and now Im officially addicted to them.   

• 04-29-2009 5:38 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Re: Hello Beoworld!

Hi and welcome!

Watch out for the virus! There is no protection against the beovirus. Once it hits you, you're lost.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 04-29-2009 6:26 PM In reply to

Welcome EYEdROP! I hope you will get as much information and enjoyment on this site as I do.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 04-29-2009 6:27 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hey Eyedrop!
    A very warm welcome to BeoWorldSmile and thanks for sharing your opinion.
    You will find quite a large group of Penta lovers on here, me included.
    Where did you get your foams from, Good HiFi?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-29-2009 6:52 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Another new fan, soon to become a victim!Devil

Enjoy your Pentas!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-29-2009 8:08 PM In reply to

Thank you guys, much appreciated. I did get the foam rings from good hifi. 

Are there things in the amplifier that will need replacing soon? Also, what would be an optimal source for the Penta? Im using the pre-outs on my receiver.

• 04-30-2009 4:18 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

The classic match for a pair of Pentas is the Beosystem 7000 (or 6500). But any B&O stereo and TV since 1990 will do the job.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 04-30-2009 4:50 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Hy and welcome EYEdROP!

Enjoy Beoworld and take care of your Pentas!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-30-2009 5:05 AM In reply to

Tom:

Hy and welcome EYEdROP!

Enjoy Beoworld and take care of your Pentas!

Welcome indeed!

(They're right about Beovirus you know...  Unsure)

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 04-30-2009 5:30 AM In reply to

Very warm welcome indeed !

As Pouncher said you will very soon become addicted Smile

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 04-30-2009 6:05 AM In reply to

Hi, I love my Penta's and they have given me many years enjoyment.

Unfortunatly im moving the cyprus and might have to sell them on in the UK because id be absolutly gutted if they got damaged in transit.

My local dealer who i originally got them from is willing to buy them to keep in his showroom so not all is bad.

At least they will have a nice retirement home to go too and i can still come and visit them both.Smile

I hope you enjoy them as much as i have (im sure you will).

!!!!Long live the penta's!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)