in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-20-2009 1:07 PM by Dillen. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-20-2009 11:50 AM

Beogram 8000 platter not spinning

Hi,

I have a problem with my BG8000. My father bought it a while back and recently gave it to me. First noticed the arm wouldn't go down when I pressed play. Anyways my father took the player to a guy he knows who fixed the problem (took him two hours...). When I got it back back I couldn't try it out with a stereo but I could hear it play listening close. Ok all fine so far. My parents live in Sweden and I live in Denmark so... Wrapped it up with blankets and took it with me on the bus and the train. When I got home the platter wouldn't start spinning after i pressed play. No problems with arm or anything just the platter won't spin. So tried to leave it for a while (perhaps it got cold or something)... Tried again still nothing. Removed and reseated the power cord in the wall outlet... Still nothing. Ok, so I removed the platter and reseated the power again... Now it spins but I haven't pressed play, so wait for a while and it stops. Try pressing play again... nothing.

I'm babbling... When it worked I could hear a hum, I can't hear that anymore.

Any ideas?

Mattias

• 02-20-2009 11:54 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 8000 platter not spinning

I would suspect a solder joint has a crack in it for the fault to be intermittent. After that has been checked one would consider component failure - Martin will no doubt do a capacitor kit for this model.

• 02-20-2009 12:14 PM In reply to

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the quick response! To check the soldering, if it's not visible should I try to "resolder it" meaning just heating tin.

• 02-20-2009 1:07 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I agree. Solders and capacitors. Probably both.

Resoldering means remove the old, cracked remains and do new solderings. I like to use solder with a hint of silver in it, it will prevent future cracking much better than conventional solder.

Cap kits are available but if the Beogram is still in Denmark, I could take a look at it for you. They are no the easiest machines to service.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)