in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-30-2007 11:34 AM by Graham1982. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-30-2007 9:31 AM

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

iTunes and BeoSound 5

Dear all,

I have the intention to buy a macBook with iTunes and to (i) digitalise my CD collection in Apple Lossless format; (ii) import my existing digital music collection (normal MP3 format, not from iTunes, currently on an old PC whose HDD is going to crash any day); and (iii) to buy new music from iTunes Store.

Depending on where I am in the house, I want to connect my macBook either (i) to my BS9000 via the audio digital output; or (ii) to my BC9500 via the analog output (I know, the DAC of the Mac is not that good and I will loose quality in this setup). More important to note, soon or late I may want to replace both BS9000 and BC95000 with a BS5 (the future digital music-based Beosound, if I am not mistaken) and upload all my music into such BS5.

Now, friends of mine have experienced serious compatibility problems with iTunes. My Apple dealer wanted to reassure me, but I hardly believe his argument. Therefore, would you please be so kind to help me answering both following questions:

1) Is it true that iTunes may not recognise some of my existing digital music files (or not want to upload it into an iPod)? Does that mean that part of my existing collection is useless and worthless with iTunes?

2) Is it true that Apple music files (both Apple Lossless and compressed files from iTunes Store) are not compatible with any other platform than iTunes? Does that mean that one's Apple music files library:
    (i) cannot be used with any other (future) platform, e.g. when iTunes is outdated or when one does not want to be dependant from Apple any more?
    (ii) cannot be used by the future BS5?
    (iii) thus is useless and worthless without iTunes?

Thank you so much for your input.

Best regards,

Jean-Sebastien

• 11-30-2007 11:31 AM In reply to

Re: iTunes and BeoSound 5

Hi:

I do not know how much you know about Ipods. I do not know very much at all. However, what I do know has deterrred me from getting one. As my knowledge is limited I may not be completely right but nobody else has replied yet and so perhaps they can correct me if/when they do:

In an out of the box Ipod setup you would have to channel all of your music files through Itunes (on one PC or Mac) in order for them to be downloaded onto your Ipod and be usable - this is the same for files purchased from the Apple Store.

That said, there is a hack to avoid this (so I am told) which will enable you to use third party software instead of Itunes. However, I have never tried it so I do not know how successful you will be.

Itunes converts files from the format it is in into the format recognisable to an Ipod. Unless you have a relly obscure music file extension I doubt you will have a problem and even if you do there is software that you can buy or free software that you can download which will enable you to convert the file into a file that is more generic and then hopefuly Itunes will be able to convert it for you. Do some Google searches on Ipod hacks and the like and you are bound to find your answers. However, you could save yourself a heap of hassle by buying an MP3 player which is not as restricted as this one - The Creative Zen or the Philips GoGear. I am not suggesting that you should buy a B&O one as I have never used one and would not be able to coment on how good they are.

I hope this helps... Have I even answered your question?

• 11-30-2007 11:34 AM In reply to

Re: iTunes and BeoSound 5

I have been waffling on about Ipods when that was not what you asked - sorry. However, the same holds sway for Itunes you could still get the conversion software if necessary. Would it not be easier to shove all of your files onto one of those music enabled external HDs and then connect it to your system - I think these have converters that will play pretty much anything...
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)