in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-11-2007 5:47 PM by The Stig - ver. 1.7. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-10-2007 1:36 PM

Can Beo5 control non B & O equipment?

I visited my local dealer today and was pleased to see that he had a Beo5.

It looks and feels great, however he told me that it will only control B & O equipment and some set top boxes.

I thought that others on the forum have said that it will control other equipment.

So who's right?

• 09-10-2007 1:42 PM In reply to

• matheyl
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • French Alps
    • Posts 228
    • Founder

Re: Can Beo5 control non B & O equipment?

Beo5 will be able to control non-B&O products if connected to P.U.C. equipped B&O tvs.

If I understood correctly...

Cheers, Laurent.

Avant 28 DVD, BC2, 2300, BL2500, 8000, to name a few...

• 09-10-2007 1:53 PM In reply to

• misled
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 66
    • Bronze Member

what is p.u.c?????

BVision10-46,BLab11,BSound5,BMaster5,BLab8000,BLab6000,BLab2500,BCom5,BCom6000,BeoTime,BeoPort,Beo4,Beo5

• 09-10-2007 1:58 PM In reply to

Yes only B&O.

It can control some curtains and projector screens but i don't know if it's the remote thats sends the Ir or if  it's the beoliving box (don't know the real name for this system modulSmile)!

• 09-10-2007 2:02 PM In reply to

misled:
    what is p.u.c?????

It's the same as a settop box (stb) controller just that it also can control DVD and VCR

a STB controller makes it possible to control a sat receiver by Beo4 remote

• 09-10-2007 3:11 PM In reply to

• Gerd
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 523
    • Bronze Member

misled:
    what is p.u.c?????

Peripheral Unit Controller 

• 09-10-2007 3:51 PM In reply to

The Beo5 has three IR transmitting diodes for controlling B&O and other products. Clearly B&O wish to limit "the other products" to vendors it has approved, meaning they have a business partnership relationship with them, for example Lutron for lights

It will control all STB's which are defined in the current STB controller table (PUC is the new B&O name for STB)

So, in answer to your real question "so who's right" I guess they both are.. The device itself can control non B&O products, but B&O almost certainly want to limit which ones they will allow you to use.

Regards Keith....

• 09-10-2007 4:09 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Keith Saunders:

for example Lutron for lights

I have some B&Q Varilight dimmers fitted, are they on the list by any chance? 

• 09-11-2007 4:33 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

The Beo5 has three IR transmitting diodes for controlling B&O and other products. Clearly B&O wish to limit "the other products" to vendors it has approved, meaning they have a business partnership relationship with them, for example Lutron for lights

It will control all STB's which are defined in the current STB controller table (PUC is the new B&O name for STB)

So, in answer to your real question "so who's right" I guess they both are.. The device itself can control non B&O products, but B&O almost certainly want to limit which ones they will allow you to use.

In the specs on the B&O page it says IR for 455 kHz and 2080 kHz on Beo5. As most of the other brands TV's, DVD-Player, etc. are in the range of 30-100 kHz how could the Beo5 control any of these?

Frank

• 09-11-2007 5:54 AM In reply to

Hi,

Here is where the confusion may come from.

Let's say you have a sky box (a stb). With the Beo 5, it is still controled by the PUC or STB-C from the TV itself.

The difference, is that you can configure the Beo5 and tell it that behind DTV there is a sky box.

What it then does is display on the screen buttons with names that correspond to the Sky box features. For example, Instead of Go 1 for Info, you'll have an "Info" button on the Beo 5.

That said, it will still send a Go-1 signal, which will be interpreted by the TV and the PUC will convert it into the "Info" code for the Sky Box.

Beo5 will be able to control other devices, not through the PUC but it does seem reserved to "environment" devices, such as light and curtains, etc...

p.

• 09-11-2007 5:47 PM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:

Hi,

Here is where the confusion may come from.

Let's say you have a sky box (a stb). With the Beo 5, it is still controled by the PUC or STB-C from the TV itself.

The difference, is that you can configure the Beo5 and tell it that behind DTV there is a sky box.

What it then does is display on the screen buttons with names that correspond to the Sky box features. For example, Instead of Go 1 for Info, you'll have an "Info" button on the Beo 5.

That said, it will still send a Go-1 signal, which will be interpreted by the TV and the PUC will convert it into the "Info" code for the Sky Box.

Beo5 will be able to control other devices, not through the PUC but it does seem reserved to "environment" devices, such as light and curtains, etc...

p.

Thats spot on Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)