in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-10-2007 9:57 PM by petermc. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-02-2007 8:31 AM

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

waterproof i.r.

hi, i have decided to put some speakers on my terrace. i have a beo passive for amplification, and at the same time i ordered the 'waterproof box' from b&o. i was a little surprised at how big it is. apparently, it has been designed to be put in the wall (which explains its depth). but its height remains a mystery. i am wondering if there are any alternative waterproof / outdoor solutions for the ir - something a little bit more disceet. thanks for any help. scott ps : i would also appreciate any advice on outdoor speakers, as it stands i am looking at the jbl control one...
  • 07-02-2007 11:32 AM In reply to

Re: waterproof i.r.

Hi, i can tell from my link system through out my house that the I.R.'s on terrace and in the bathroom, work perfectly for 2 years now, despite weather conditions......

I may live in Greece, but we also have rain and snow in winter......Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

Regards, Dimitris

-Dimitris

• 07-02-2007 11:52 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hi,

do i understand that you placed the ir's on your terrace with no protection and they have worked for two years ?!

or am i crazy...

scott

• 07-02-2007 12:00 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

scott451:

hi,

do i understand that you placed the ir's on your terrace with no protection and they have worked for two years ?!

or am i crazy...

scott

Hi Scott,

Which outdoor mounting box did you order ?

This one ?

• 07-02-2007 1:21 PM In reply to

I've got an Active that has the "hockey puck", I'd like to find a waterproof box for that one..

On another note, We are hooking the active kit on the terrice to a RCA adaptor. Running those attenuated low level outs into a Yamaha M60 amp. Then on to 2 sets of Yamaha NS-AW350 outdoor speakers.

• 07-02-2007 1:33 PM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hi,

yes , it looks just like that. if you put that next to an i.r. receiver it really looks over-sized. it's also designed to be mounted in the wall (only the clear plastic part shows). which is not what i had in mind.

has anyone tried anything else - closer to the size of the i.r. receiver ?

scott

• 07-06-2007 3:47 AM In reply to

scott451:

hi,

or am i crazy...

scott

No, you are not crazy at all!!

And yes they work perfectly.

Maybe i have to put up some photos to convince youWink

-Dimitris

• 07-06-2007 4:42 AM In reply to

• Molotow
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-09-2007
    • Herning
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

If you take the "Hockey Puck" apart, you can spray the print with some sort of "Laquer"(Not sure if its spelled right, sorry). I know some people in denmark that did that, and it works perfectly.
  • 07-10-2007 9:20 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

waterproof i.r. - now that's interesting

hi,

these last two posts are great !

drdimitris, can you give me more information about your installation. i'm looking to find out just how waterproof the ir eye can be. does yours get rained on at all, for example ?

mine would be outside under a 'half-roof' (slats that cut direct sunlight, would not necessarily stop rain). can the ir eye afford a little rain ?

which brings me to molotow's comment. a laquer or varnish would certainly give more protection. do you have any idea what type was used ? has anyone else out there heard of such a thing ?

thanks again beoworld, the best source of information,

scott

• 07-10-2007 1:57 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Bredene near Ostend-Belgium
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

Re: waterproof i.r. - now that's interesting

Take a look at electrical brands, such as Vynckier, Legrand and on. They have watertight electrical boxes that fits your measurements, equipped with transparent front plate.

Have you thought for speakers of B&W? I'm running a pair of ceiling speakers from that brand, they sound excellent and they do have outdoors as well.

Yes, I kown my spelling is horrible… Huh?

• 07-10-2007 2:49 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Great picture Ed but the horseshoe on the roof beam needs turning round so all the good luck doesn't spill out!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-10-2007 2:55 PM In reply to

I have use a car spay paint on electronic before works fine, take it apart and give it 3 layers, cover the top of the Ir receiver.

I'm not sure you can use the bottoms after paint...Smile

if you don't make some some kind of seal (paint in this case) and water hits it, then you have water, cuber and current. and corroding only takes 2 min. before it's stops working if your unlucky ..Tongue Tied

• 07-10-2007 9:57 PM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

Hi,

I have outdoor speakers however the IR sensor is mounted just inside the door. The remote still works through the door although you have to point it directly at the door.

The speakers I use are Accusound which are Australian. Great speakers and not overly expensive.

Peter 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)