in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-12-2009 3:09 AM by Peter. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-12-2009 12:46 AM

• KalK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2009
    • Posts 27
    • Bronze Member

BEO NEWBIE

I had posted earlier that I had picked up a beomaster 1600, the volume does not work and it is stuck at 2 position, I used its tape output and connected to my current system, and I listened to FM radio, and then connected a turntable to it.

The sound? Well the best way I can described is that it was not noisey, it was laid back, kinda warm, but lacking highs a little, but I loved it, it has great midrange where most of the music is, I am sure all of you know this.

I have taken it out for repairs, and it would be a while before it gets looked at, but I am told that it will be fixed.

BUt in the meantime, I was wondering, which is the best sounding beomaster in your opinion, and why? Secondly, how does it compare to high-end audio components, such as Audio Research, Krell, Wadia, Mccormack, well you get the picture.

Based on your opinion, I will buy a properly functioning beomaster, let me know the max price I should pay for it.

Looking forward to be a 100% BEOGUY.

Happy Listening.  

• 09-12-2009 3:09 AM In reply to

Re: BEO NEWBIE

Probably between two systems - the Beomaster 4400 and Beomaster 8000. The 8000 is more powerful - 150W a channel and has the advantage of remote control. It is also huge and quite complicated. A fully restored working one could cost you £400 or possibly more.

The 4400 is an earlier non remote control device but I think sounds a little sweeter. Not quite as powerful - 75W a channel - but can peak higher than this - B&O were at a stage where they underestimated power! Better made than the 8000 with very little plastics. Easier to repair as less complex electronically - no big displays etc.

I have both (well I have a 4401!) and prefer the 4400 system.

However the ultimate B&O system for collectors is a full Beolab 5000 system as supplied by Classic Audio. This is old - 1967 - but was the top of the ladder then. It really plays music!

Comparing with other makes, most people find B&O systems of this era more relaxing to listen to for long times than more modern systems. Modern systems tend to have an in your face brightness which can be interpreted as detail. It is however very tiring to listen to. To a certain extent, modern B&O systems have followed this trend and this is one reason I use older equipment!!

I agree with you summation of the 1600. I had the 1700 which is the same but silver and with AM radio as well. The amplifier is pretty basic and compared the 1500 that it replaced, it was a backward step sonically. It went back to an indirectly coupled amplifier which on the whole gives less control. It was a splendid design but not that well contructed.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)