in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-01-2010 4:54 AM by wirralsimon. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-27-2010 4:25 AM

Beosystem 5000 Repairs

I have just inherited a complete Beosystem 5000 series (CD, Amp, Tape, Record Deck, Red Line 60 speakers) and whilst I know the Amp, speakers and control system work, the other components (Tape, CD etc) do not.  The sound from the Amp and Speakers is superb, but please could I ask whether or not the forum believe that it is worth my while (and costs) having the other items repaired, if even possible.

• 02-27-2010 4:53 AM In reply to

Re: Beosystem 5000 Repairs

The tape could well be the belts  which are available and not too difficult to replace. With the CD player, firstly remember that the disk goes in "upside down" compared to all cd players now days so try that first and it may cure your problem!

• 02-27-2010 5:00 AM In reply to

Thanks, I will check the belts on the tape player, but the CD is definitely a mechanical problem with the loading system, as this appears to have been forced.

• 02-27-2010 12:44 PM In reply to

You can connect a non-B&O CD player while you are sorting out the repairs to your CD50. 

Unlike most B&O your Beosystem is a pretty standard width so it won't look too bad visually.

Simon

• 02-27-2010 1:12 PM In reply to

Agreed, and the Beomaster even has RCA connectors, so using a "foreign" CD will be easy without needing any adapters (you'll need to use the Tape2 RCA connectors instead of proper AUX/CD though, as that only has a DIN connector).

Every unit is most probably repairable, but if the CD has mechanical damage that needs spare parts, you'd need a donor unit and it may be easier to just buy one that works in the first place. These are probably the cheapest B&O CD players.

Is your record player a Beogram 5000 or 5005, and what's wrong with it? Both are fine decks and well worth repairing. If the pickup/stylus is damaged (which it might well be due to just old age), it will cost a bit though.

-mika

• 02-28-2010 9:44 AM In reply to

Thanks for all of the help. I can't say for sure if the record deck works or not as I need to get some of my old records out first - (can't find them in the attic yet!).  But on speaking to my Uncle who gave me the system, he seems to think that it should work and he had replaced the stylus etc, before he stopped using the system.

• 02-28-2010 1:11 PM In reply to

The CD50 is a complex beast but is likely to have a problem with the belt for the transport. The other common fault is that the motor for the CD transport needs servicing. The problem with this machine is that almost everyone is different so although the service manual is available, the electronics seem to vary a lot! The tape player is a beauty and will simply need new belts which Dillen can help source. He could sevice the CD50 possibly as well as he seems to have most of the types seen!

• 03-01-2010 4:54 AM In reply to

tournedos:

Agreed, and the Beomaster even has RCA connectors, so using a "foreign" CD will be easy without needing any adapters (you'll need to use the Tape2 RCA connectors instead of proper AUX/CD though, as that only has a DIN connector).

Alternatively you can contact Steve at Sounds Heavenly via the link at the bottom right of this page and he will sort you out with a DIN to RCA lead which will enable you to connect it to the AUX/CD input. The only thing you won't be able to do is control the CD player using the remote.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)