in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-02-2009 4:01 PM by Russ. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-02-2009 8:22 AM

Problem with connecting Beolab 5 with BV7-40 Mark III and an external Blurayplayer

Hi, I have a problem getting sound thru the SPDF-cable (CD-listening). My setup is as follows:

I have connected the Labs5 with Powerlink-cables MarkII to my Beovision 7-40 MarkIII. I have a SPDF-cable directly connected from my BR-player to both Beolab 5:s. I have also 2 (L/R)-cables connected from the BR-player to the BV7. I use AV5-connection in the BV7 to connect the two L/R-cables. I have selected "DVD2"-button for the AV5 back on the BV7. I have a HDMI-cable connected from BR-player to AV2 back on the Bv7 and this connection is selected as "DTV-button" on the remote.

So to my problem: Everything works fine when I use the BR-player looking at movies, when the sound goes threw the Powerlink Cables. When I listen to CD:s in the BR-player the sound should go threw the SPDF-cable from the BR-player directly to the Lab5. I have to change some settings in the BR-player (HDMI-audio off) to get sound threw the SPDF-cable. BUT: the lab5 will not get any sound threw the SPDF-cable. The sound still comes threw the Powerlink-cables but the lab5 will not receive the SPDF-signal.

Does anybody know what the problem is. The loudspeaker is set as Option 0.

Regards
    Martin

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 06-02-2009 8:41 AM In reply to

Re: Problem with connecting Beolab 5 with BV7-40 Mark III and an external Blurayplayer

Im sure that this isnt your problem, but arent you supposed to use Powerlink MK3 cables instead?!

• 06-02-2009 9:21 AM In reply to

Re: Problem with connecting Beolab 5 with BV7-40 Mark III and an external Blurayplayer

Beolab 5 will onlywork with MarkII-powerlink.

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 06-02-2009 9:42 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Martin,

I'm not certain that you can make this combination of products work as you hope.  My understanding is that once there is ANY B&O A/V piece attached via PowerLink, you must expect to use a B&O CD in order to use the S/PDIF inputs.  This is because the B&O A/V  piece sends information along the PL MK2 cables which control volume, and indicate when the 'CD' source has been selected, then the 5's check the S/PDIF inputs, and if nothing is there they move back to the PL input.

In a system with a non B&O controller, you place the 5's in option 5 (I believe), and activate them by using the 'Radio' command from a B&O remote, they wake up, check the S/PDIF and then the RCA/Line inputs.

I suppose that you could remove the PL cables, use a DIN to RCA adaptor, and attach the 5's to the BV 7 via normal RCA interconnects to the Line input...but even if that does work, it's may not be easy to manage.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 06-02-2009 11:04 AM In reply to

Thanks for your reply. But I have connected with to Line-cables (L/R) from the BR-player to the TV. This means that there will be sound in the labs5 when playing CD:s from the BR-player. But the Lab5 will not detect the SPDF signal directly from the BR-player. That is the problem.

• 06-02-2009 11:25 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

No, no...I understod the problem.  My explanation of a possible solution was not clear enough.  I was suggesting that you remove the PowerLink cables, and replace them with Line/RCA cables from the BV-7 to the 5's using the DIN-RCA adaptor (627302), and then program the 5's as if they were in a non-B&O set-up.  

I am not sure that will work, but it ought to.  The real issue will be controlling the system.  That would be rather awkward.  

The real problem you face is that the speakers and TV are currently behaving exactly as they were designed to; technically there is no 'problem'.  You are going to need a way of 'fooling' the 5's into doing what you want.

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 06-02-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

Hi, Russ

Thanks for your interest in solving my problemBig Smile. If I connect with Line-cables instead of Powerlink, how will I controll the system? If I want to watch TV, and I switch on the BV7, will the Lab5 go on then?

So the problem is that the powerlink-cables is sending "information about CD"  to the Lab5, am I correct? And with my setup no such information is comming to the lab5 and the SPDF-signal will not be detected. Am I right?

So with LINE-cables no such CD- information is sent and the problem should be solved.

Is there any disadvantages with connecting the lab5 with LINE-cables instead of Powerlink-cables?

I hope you you have some answers.

Regards
    Martin

• 06-02-2009 4:01 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Hi Martin,

Answers, in order:

Assuming it works, then you'll do so with some difficulty.

Not by themselves, no.

You are correct.

Right.

Other than making the system terribly hard to manage, no. 

I think you are seeing the scope of the challenge.

###

In all honesty, I don't think that it will be worth the trouble.  I admit that the "Gee Whiz!" factor is there for the direct digital connection, but unless your listening room is just-so, and your ears are as well, it may not make a notable difference.

As an additional note, you paid a rather handsome fee for the 5's and the 7, it seems a bit odd to cut corners at this point.  If it was a matter of budget, I would hold off until I could get a BS-9000, or a BeoCenter 2.  Or...you could look for a clean 4500, 5500, 6500 or 7000 Master and CD player, and a (new) BeoLink Converter.  All of those BeoGram CD's have the S/PDIF output, and when run through the AudioMaster and the Converter will operate as you expected from the beginning.

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)