in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-09-2008 6:20 PM by BrianT. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2008 6:03 PM

• BrianT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-07-2008
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Beogram 8002 Tone Arm will not drop

My loverly Beogram 8002 as started to act up.

The tone arm will not drop, tone arm moves to correct position but will not drop, also servo sensor not being activated. 

( I think the Solenoid Coil and Servo Sensor are powered from the same source ) 

I opened the case, to check wiring Etc, 1 out of 20 times it works OK, Solenoid Coil and Servo Assy powered.

But will never work with the case closed. 

Dose anybody know the test points on the 5 incoming wires on the Servo assy.

I did download the service manual, but I am not great at electronic's and did not understand it. 

I did a search and came up with this post:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/60389.aspx

So to answer Dillen questions: 

The Arm dose move to the correct position and hovers above the record.

Sensor light under Sensor Arm (white light) is OK. 

Thanks Brian.

Ottawa, Canada. 

• 12-07-2008 6:54 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 8002 Tone Arm will not drop

Welcome to Beoworld and thanks for signing up as a silver member, your support is greatly appreciated ! Yes -  thumbs up 

It's probably not at the EXACT correct position. The processor counts pulses from the IR opto and if the correct number of pulses cannot be obtained, it won't lower.

(This is, with all due respect, a job for someone who knows about electronics and mechanics and understands the technical manual) Geeked.

Diagnose; start the Beogram and if it just hovers with no click from the muting relay;

- Lift the servo motor belt off the motor pulley and see if the motor starts rotating slowly.

If it does;

- Check the condition of the servo motor belt. Replace if in doubt.

- Clean and relubricate the threaded shaft and the nylon bushing under the carriage.

If the relay clicks but the arm doesn't lower;

- Check and repair lift/lower mech, probably inside the tonearm carriage.

Aging capacitors cause the strangest faults, I recommend replacing the lot. A convenient kit is available.

Martin

• 12-07-2008 7:08 PM In reply to

• BrianT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-07-2008
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

If the relay clicks but the arm doesn't lower;

- Check and repair lift/lower mech, probably inside the tonearm carriage.

Aging capacitors cause the strangest faults, I recommend replacing the lot. A convenient kit is available.

Martin,

No problem at singing up as a silver member, I have no problems in supporting people that offer help. 

The Mute relay does click, how do I go about repairing lift/lower mech. 

I have already sent you a PM about the cap kit.

Brian. 

• 12-08-2008 4:14 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

First thing is to make sure you have the correct tracking weight set (and an MMC cartridge installed).

On the carriage is an interconnecting board that holds all the wires to the carriage. It's under a thin black plastic sheet. Locate the two leads that go to the activator solenoid and put a DC voltmeter on them, check the voltage when the tonearm is supposed to drop.

If no voltage present - electronic fault or a cracked solder at the main board connector or a capacitor fault.

If correct voltage is present - check the solenoid continuity using an ohm-meter (Beogram not powered), also check that the solenoid moves freely and is not jammed or seized.

If the solenoid actually moves when the arm is supposed to be lowered; Check the mech. inside the carriage house, pivots etc.

Martin

• 12-08-2008 8:37 AM In reply to

• BrianT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-07-2008
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Dillen:

First thing is to make sure you have the correct tracking weight set (and an MMC cartridge installed).

On the carriage is an interconnecting board that holds all the wires to the carriage. It's under a thin black plastic sheet. Locate the two leads that go to the activator solenoid and put a DC voltmeter on them, check the voltage when the tonearm is supposed to drop.

If no voltage present - electronic fault or a cracked solder at the main board connector or a capacitor fault.

If correct voltage is present - check the solenoid continuity using an ohm-meter (Beogram not powered), also check that the solenoid moves freely and is not jammed or seized.

If the solenoid actually moves when the arm is supposed to be lowered; Check the mech. inside the carriage house, pivots etc.

Martin

Martin,

What voltage should I expect to see when solenoid coil powerd.

Brian.

• 12-08-2008 9:17 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I don't have the manual right here but something sensible and stable within a 5-15V range or so.

Martin

• 12-09-2008 6:20 PM In reply to

• BrianT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-07-2008
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Dillen:

I don't have the manual right here but something sensible and stable within a 5-15V range or so.

Martin

Martin,

No voltage at the 2 test points, I have ordered a Cap kit from you, for now will

have to wait until I install the Cap kit to see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Brian 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)