in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-10-2007 3:52 PM by Puncher. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-10-2007 1:47 PM

• DavidS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-10-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

RX2 Turntable - is the speed adjustable, and if so, how?

Hello...I've been enjoying my RX2 now for about 7 years and I'm wondering if, over time, the speed of the turntable needs to be calibrated. It's seems that it's just a hair's breadth slower than it should be, and since everything is automatic with it, adjusting the speed seems like it would be difficult to do. So my questions are:

1) How can you tell if it's rotating at the proper speed? (There's a quasi-geometric pattern on the platter which I wonder if it's not intended as a way of guaging the speed).

2) How can I adjust the speed, if it is, in fact, rotating slower than it should be? 

Thanks for any help/advice.

David 

Filed under: , , ,
  • 12-10-2007 3:06 PM In reply to

Re: RX2 Turntable - is the speed adjustable, and if so, how?

It is possible - there are two variable resistors - one for the 33 speed and one for the 45. I believe if you look at the base of the RX2, there are two small holes and they may even have the speed markings by the, They are situated in a position under the arm at rest.

however if the speed is slowing, consider whether the deck needs servicing -  lubrication and cleaning and probably a new belt are in order. The service manual is on site if you feel adventurous!!

• 12-10-2007 3:52 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: RX2 Turntable - is the speed adjustable, and if so, how?

When I was a lad you used to be able to buy a paper strobe disc (a disc with a multitude of radial lines) which, when illuminated by a conventional 50Hz incandescant light (if you had access to a real laboratory stroboscope even better), the lines would appear stationary if the speed was correct.

Theres an free app here to print a strobe disc (with selectable frequency and deck speed) - 3/4 way down the page called STROBE.EXE. It might be worth a go (make sure there's also a record of the deck so the weight and inertia will be correct and printing on light card will be more substantial than paper).

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)